cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Assy directory

RickGiguere
1-Newbie

Assy directory

I keep all my part files for an assy, in the same folder as the assy file. If assy part files are in different folders or directories, the assy file won't open without some special search paths created. I'm still a newb at this, so I do it the easy way.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

Hi, You need to create a search.pro which is essentially a text document listing all of the folders where you keep you ProE files. I keep my search.pro in the start directory (same location as your config.pro). My text document consists of the following lines of text:- "k:\Proe Library\Fasteners" "k:\Proe Library\BOM Tables" "k:\Proe Library\symbols" "k:\Proe Library\Templates" "k:\Proe Library\Flashing T5" "k:\Proe Library\Scott" "k:\Proe Library\Seat" "k:\Proe Library\Extrusion" "C:\My Documents" When Proe opens your assembly it will look for a search.pro in your start directory and then just run through the list of specified locations. Create the file in notepad or wordpad and when finished make sure you name it a search.pro and not a search.txt (rename the document .pro) Hope this helps! And I hope it's right! Scott

"Scott Jones" wrote:

Hi, You need to create a search.pro which is essentially a text document listing all of the folders where you keep you ProE files. I keep my search.pro in the start directory (same location as your config.pro). My text document consists of the following lines of text:- "k:\Proe Library\Fasteners" "k:\Proe Library\BOM Tables" "k:\Proe Library\symbols" "k:\Proe Library\Templates" "k:\Proe Library\Flashing T5" "k:\Proe Library\Scott" "k:\Proe Library\Seat" "k:\Proe Library\Extrusion" "C:\My Documents" When Proe opens your assembly it will look for a search.pro in your start directory and then just run through the list of specified locations. Create the file in notepad or wordpad and when finished make sure you name it a search.pro and not a search.txt (rename the document .pro) Hope this helps! And I hope it's right! Scott

its the full path to your folder including the drive. Additionally you have to tell ProE where to find your search.pro by a line in your config.pro like search_path_file your_search.pro_with_path

"Reinhard Nueckel" wrote:

its the full path to your folder including the drive. Additionally you have to tell ProE where to find your search.pro by a line in your config.pro like search_path_file your_search.pro_with_path

I think this should fit under this topic. Is it possible to search for a search path file in the working directory instead of a fixed location?

Yes it its possible, because once you use the search_path_file in your config.pro you can choose from wherever the plain text file containig the different folders direction from where your assemblies call up the parts. the text file can have as many lines as you want, just remember every folder route must be between quotes ""

This explains how to accomplish what you want, I think: ! TEMPLATE PROJECT SEARCH.PRO ! !Note: Any lines in this file beginning with "!" are commented-out ! !To define a search path file, add this line to your config.pro: !SEARCH_PATH_FILE //my_project/production_dir/search.pro ! !Or, to use a search.pro located in the startup directory: !SEARCH_PATH_FILE ./search.pro ! !This file should be renamed to "search.pro" and located !in the directory specified in config.pro ! !Examples of search path definitions: !//production/proj_top-level !//production/case_assy
Top Tags