cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Automating point creation

edi
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

Automating point creation

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know how to automate point creation? Lets say I want to create a  curve through 50 points and then from the coordinates of these 50 points I want to define some simple relations to create 50 new points.  Also, I need to be able to modify the coordinates of the initial 50 points  and regenerate the model.  I used a .pts file to import the points. But, when I modify the points and regenerate nothing happens, not to mention that I don't know how to define relations between coordinates of points. Any help will be appreciated.

33 REPLIES 33
edi
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:MartinHanak)

Hi guys,

I'm asking for your help on a new problem I've encountered in my design.  I want the flow path thickness at the 50 points along the meanline to be locally perpendicular to the meanline. For acheiving this I used:

x_h = x_m + (h/2) sin(theta)

y_h = y_m - (h/2) cos(theta)

m: meanline ,  h: inner casing,   c: outer casing

x_c = x_m - (h/2) sin(theta)

y_c = y_m + (h/2) cos(theta)

where h is the local flow path thickness and theta is tan^-1(deltay_m/deltax_m).  I've created a spreadsheet to do the calculations. Everything works fine, except for last 4 points along the inner casing. I want the inner and outer casing curves to be tangent to a vertical line at the end points, however I'm having troubles achieving this. 

I've included a spreadsheet and a .prt file. Also, I used backward differentiation for calculating the local theta at the 50 points along the meanline.

thanks

If you have a new problem or question, you should start a new topic.

Also, you should accept one of the provided answers as the solution (if that solved your first question/problem)

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:edi)

Hi,

I modified your model, please look into it.pic1.png

pic2.png

pic3.png

Martin Hanák
edi
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:MartinHanak)

Hey Martin,

The last points of the meanline, inner and outer casing should lie on a vertical line. For the outer casing, based on the spreadsheet the x- coordinate of the last point is slightly off from the x-coordinate of the meanline, so I can extend the it with a horizontal line to make the spline tanget to the horizontal line. However, If you look at the spreadsheet for the inner casing as we get close to the end points the x and y coordinates of the inner casing start to become less than the corresponding values of meanline, which leads to that distortion that you see. I can delete the last points which their x-coordinates beggins to surpass the x-coordinate of the meanline, and draw a straight line, but I don't think this is good idea since its compromises having a smooth transition.

Top Tags