cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Axis is not following the material (metal sheet)

PredragMilovac
1-Newbie

Axis is not following the material (metal sheet)

Does anyone had a problem when point axis is not following material surface in metal sheet? When I make a sketch with holes and do the bending in sheet metal my axis are still on location where I put them before bending. Hole is fine but axis is not. That happens with regular holes as well as with custom make shapes where I put point axis. I'm using WF4 and I've called friend who is using WF3. He hasn't that problem. Does anyone had this problem?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

I don't see that in WF4 M070. 2001 used to do that if a hole feature was used instead of a sheet metal cut. The axis would not follow the hole. Maybe see if a newer build helps.

lucky you, I'm still struguling with this. here is the scenario 1. make unattached wall 2. Then add flange wall 3. on the flange wall I make rectangular cut for example 4. then add the axis point by adding constrains (attaching it for the symetry axis of the rectang) 5. then do unbending (fixing some other surface, not the one where is the holes) 6. and axis is not with the hole anymore. 7. crazy However, round holes are not showing this issus, but any other shape of hole does.

If I set up the model right I'm seeing that in WF4 M070 also.
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:Kevin)

Trying it with round holes I two sets of axis. One set in the original location and one set with the holes in the flat pattern.

that will work for me but for other guys I might bring confusion. I would like to develop standard procedure so anyone in department can easily follow. In a mean time I found another way how you go around this. It is not clean and doesn't give flexibility. 1. create unattached wall 2. make flange wall 3. do unbend and then suprees this feature 5. in family table make flat instace, optional 4. then make your hole 5. end 6. bump! On that way bend/unbend can be somewhere in the middle of the process. Hard to follow and not flexible at all. You cannot modify almost anyhing. For example just to change angle of the flange wall will cause error. Personally I think that this issue is big BUG, or functional error or limitation of ProE. Someone from PTC would have to address on this.

I tried some more instances and noticed that axis points created in sketcher and axis features stayed in their original positions. For a sketched circle without the axis point it depended on the remove material option I chose. If I chose to "Remove material normal to driven and offet surfaces no axis showed in WF3 and several showed in WF4 depending on whether or not the definition of the extrude was edited. Choosing one of the other options gave the desired result but only for circles. For shapes that had arcs or filleted corners no axes were present.

One more issue Have you noticed when you make first sketch (regular extrusion) and while still in sketcher try to add point axis on a hole, Point Axis feature is turned off. You have to basically finish the sketch and then make another one just for the holes if you want to have any control over the axis. Why is so messy? It is very important to have axis rigth. When this happened first time, I was honestly thinking about Solid Works.

I have noticed that with a sketch feature and .sec files but with an internal sketch I have been able to add axis points.

I was looking at standard part not sheetmetal but I did notice this in sheetmetal after trying it again.
Top Tags