cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam Idealization

SOLVED
Highlighted

Beam Idealization

In the Creo Simulate Help Center it says the use of beam idealizations is only valid for a ratio of beam height to its length of up to 1/10.

I would like to simulate a part which has a ratio of 4/10. Simulating the part as a solid is not an option.

How does that "invalid" ratio influence the simulation results?

I would also like to know how many nodes/elements Creo Simulate creates on each beam idealization and if this is variable.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Beam Idealization

example (volume vs. beam)

regards

paul

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

example (volume vs. beam)

regards

paul

View solution in original post

Thank you very much for your fast answer, Paul.

I hope I interpret your model correctly since I see only a difference in the max. deformation value of about +2,3 %.

I attached a sketch of my use case. Is the deformation difference the only deviation resulting from the use of the beam idealization? If yes, that would cause point A and B to displace a little more than they should but due to their identical behaviour the long beam would undergo the same load, wouldn't it?

Best regards

Patrick

for example as volume (better).

regards

paul

Again, thanks very very much for your very helpful model!

I hope that this is the last time I have to ask a question concering this topic.

I see that in this case the displacement difference of a solid and a beam model is huge.

Due to the fact that I have lots of these c-profiles connected to each other, I want to use the beams at least for the longest beam. (attached file: example_02)

I attached a comparison between a solid, beam and combination of both (example_01). In this comparison there is huge displacement difference of the mixed beam-solid model and the solid model. But this time the ratio of beam height to its length is valid according to Timoshenko beam theory.

The only possible blind spot I can imagine is the connection between the beam and the solid or is there another mistake I don't recognize?

I would really appreciate your help.

Best regards

Patrick

hello Patrick,

test as beam-volumen

regards

paul

plot2.jpg