cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Best way to store multiple options in one part?

rmcboaty
7-Bedrock

Best way to store multiple options in one part?

I have a part, which is currently a grease nipple (DIN 3405, flush type). It is currently not as a family table, but as a set of equations (i only care about the external dimensions and have a parameter for the size), because when i'm finished, i "save as copy" and rename the assm, which only saves one family table instance.

The problem is that i often replace it with DIN 906 plug. I would like to include both options, preferrably in a single part, so that i can switch them if needed even after the rename.

I would also like to keep both instances if i save as copy the assm.

Is the only way to accomplish that by creating two groups in the part itself and just suppress / unsuppress the correct one?

one day i will probably make a j-link renamer (file names are easy to determine), but i have to learn java first.

1 REPLY 1

You can create what's called an interchange assembly which defines how two unrelated components should be exchanged.  You add the parts that you want to exchange then define reference pairs between them so that they can be swapped.  So, if you always use the TOP planes in each, you pair them in the interchange assy.  Once defined, you can easily replace them without errors and even exchange them in family tables.

The interchange needs to be in a place that's accessible, either in your working directory or a search path folder, in order for Creo to make use of it.  I seem to recall that when swapped, Creo still needs to see the original and the interchange assy in order to rebuild the assy, but I may be wrong there.

It's been a very long time since I defined one (pre-Creo) so I can't really give you specifics.  I suspect with a bit of reading through the help files you can learn what you need to make use of them.

There are some implications for parent-child relationships, however, that you might want to do some digging here to learn about as well.  Again, I only remember there are implications.

Also, if you use the replace function in the assy, select the unrelated components option and select alternate references via the "Edit Reference Table" function, you can select "Remember These Components" and achieve a similar result.  I have no idea how Creo remembers them, in other words, where is that information stored so it can "remember".

Capture.JPG

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags