Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating flat blank dimensions for sheetmetal part

Does anyone know of a method to automatically extract the maximum extents (length width and height) of a flattened sheetmetal part? We would like to put the minimum blank size dimensions on a drawing as well as calculate the basic material utilization based on the starting blank weight and final part weight.

Thanks for any ideas,

John Frankovich

The GSI Group

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.7/1409 - Release Date: 5/1/2008 8:39 AM

10 REPLIES 10

RE: Calculating flat blank dimensions for sheetmetal part

I noticed in Creo Parametric 1.0 that there is a Flat Pattern Preview button that can show the bounding box dimensions of a sheetmetal part. I believe that this is the information that John was looking for a few years ago (see below).

My questions are:

1. Can the bounding box dimensions be captured parametrically for export to another program? This could be a manual process or automated through a toolkit.

2. Is this same information available in Pro/E Wildfire 4 or 5, but just not displayed graphically?

Any suggestions for capturing this information would be helpful.

Thank you.

Gordon Walker

gordon.walker@hillphoenix.com

In Reply to John Frankovich:

Does anyone know of a method to automatically extract the maximum extents (length width and height) of a flattened sheetmetal part? We would like to put the minimum blank size dimensions on a drawing as well as calculate the basic material utilization based on the starting blank weight and final part weight.

Thanks for any ideas,

John Frankovich

The GSI Group

Gordon,
When I talked to Don Breda at Planet PTC last summer he showed me the flat pattern functionality and I immediately asked if these values were available as parameters. His answer was "Not yet", but they definitely want to make them available. (As far as whether they can be captured by another process, or toolkit, I do not know.)
There are ways to capture this information as a bounding box in WF4 and 5, but it does not work the same way as what you see in Creo 1. In Creo 1, the flat pattern preview code looks for the largest surface, flattens the part, and uses the flat surface plane as the dimensioning plane, regardless of part orientation.
Bounding box, however, uses the csys directions to capture the bounding box size of the part in its current state and orientation, so, the part has to be in a flattened state and has to be flattened to a primary plane in order to yield valid results.

I also suggested to Don that they should utilize the flat pattern preview in Drawing mode, so that a user can simply select a flat pattern view and the part will automatically flatten and orient itself flat to the screen in one step. No need for a specific view orientation.

John

Anothermethod is to create a dummy assembly andthen insert the flat pattern component model.Use the sketched curve tool and create a box around the model. You now have dimensions available.You could also create analysis features to capture these values as parameters.

David Brainsky
Certified PTC Instructor
Chula Vista, Ca. 91910

RE: Calculating flat blank dimensions for sheetmetal part

David,
Thanks for posting that work around, good idea!

John,
Thanks for remembering our conversation at Planet PTC Live last year. You are correct, I told you "not yet" last year. Now we have included that functionality in Creo 2.0, which will be available in about a month or so. The bounding box dimensions are now feature parameters of the Flat Pattern feature.

Don

Re: RE: Calculating flat blank dimensions for sheetmetal part

Thanks for the information

I like to know the titles of the parameters like for length and width. So, I can able to use in relation.

Thanks in advance,

Hari Prasanth

Hi ,

As stated below, can we extract the blank dimensions for the parts without bends through parameters. Kindly let me know, if any possibilities.

Thanks In Advance

Baala

Doesn't your system create the two parameters - SMT_FLAT_PATTERN_LENGTH and SMT_FLAT_PATTERN_WIDTH 

when the flat-pattern feature is inserted at the end of your sheetmetal part?

- see About Flat Patterns

I can't remember, but these parameters might be buried in the flat-pattern feature.

In which case, to access these in relations, etc., see this thread:

Flat pattern sheet metal drawing

(you'll probably need the feature ID of the flat pattern feature - which you can get by right-clicking on the flat pattern feature and then selecting 'feature information")

Thanks for the reply.

The stated parameters SMT_FLAT_PATTERN_LENGTH and SMT_FLAT_PATTERN_WIDTH are getting created for the parts with bends.

My requirement is to extract the blank length and width for the parts with no bends, where there is no need to use the FLAT PATTERN feature. Kindly let me know, if any.

I'm sorry, but I am not understanding you when you say:

"My requirement is to extract the blank length and width for the parts with no bends, where there is no need to use the FLAT PATTERN feature". So you are talking about non-sheetmetal parts?  And you need to know the "bounding volume" of the model?  If so, you are making things more confusing by posting such questions in a topic related to sheetmetal parts...

Anyway, have a look here: Bounding box - via Model Check

Announcements
LiveWorx Call For Papers Happening Now!