cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Can't create STL for 3D printing due to imported geometry

ptc-4955017
1-Newbie

Can't create STL for 3D printing due to imported geometry

I am trying to create an STL file from a part so that I can send to our 3D printer. Currenly I cannot create an STL file because nearly the entire part is an imported feature. The part file is the only ProE file that I have available to me, so I cannot try to find the original file to fix. I was wondering if there was a way to merge or solidy the surfaces of the imported feature so that I can create an STL file. Obviously I would like to avoid going through and selecting each and every feature to solify.

Is there any easy way to do this? Or is there a better workaround so I can get this part printing? I need it for a presentation on Friday...

Thanks,

Shawn

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Shawn, I send you the files of the corrected part. Ignore my 1st email model (it was an X_T file).

For everyone's entertainment... I used Cadkey '99 to heal the part and finished the primary offending feature with Creo. The Import Data Doctor was all but useless in this occasion.

Cadkey provided a very good Step export into Creo 2.0 and finally had to remove a large segment of the offending feature. Once I closed up the holes that the removal left, it solidified fine. It was a duplicate feature so I was able to copy the feature using a separate copy of the model. I trimmed up the second model to fill the void and properly match the surfaces. I then assembled the two models and used the merge capability of Creo so it would all sew back into one part model.

Shawn, I hope you got the part in time to grow the STL for your presentation.

It was a fun exercise! Thanks.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Does WF4 have the import doctor?

If you post the file, maybe we can help get it to a more usable format like STEP.

Yes, the IDD is in WF4. That would be kind of cool to see the forum help out a fellow member in need

I'm interested in seeing the complexity of the part. Could be something fairly simple to stitch back up and make work.

Then again, it could be a nightmare!

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I do not have access to the original file to be able to use the import doctor. I'm able to save it as an .igs and an .stp file, but that still doesn't help me to create an .stl file.

The file is actually a confidential file so I cannot post it here to an open forum. But I would be willing to send it individually to an email address if you wouldn't mind to provide one.

Thanks,

Shawn

You can send the WF4 file as you have it. I will sent my email in a private message.

That is one messed up model. You can see that the original import was bad just by looking at it in wireframe. All the bad edges are highlighted. Someone ran a compression on the original file which rounded all the endpoints and after that, they all got mismatched.

I'm working with the import data doctor but it really seems a useless tool. What would be considered "planar" all has slight curves to so the whole file is pretty much trashed from the initial import file. In most cases this would not be to hard to fix.

I will keep working on it, but you might need a smarter STL program to let it heal the part for import. The problems are not big ones, just enough to not recognize closed features.

Shawn, I send you the files of the corrected part. Ignore my 1st email model (it was an X_T file).

For everyone's entertainment... I used Cadkey '99 to heal the part and finished the primary offending feature with Creo. The Import Data Doctor was all but useless in this occasion.

Cadkey provided a very good Step export into Creo 2.0 and finally had to remove a large segment of the offending feature. Once I closed up the holes that the removal left, it solidified fine. It was a duplicate feature so I was able to copy the feature using a separate copy of the model. I trimmed up the second model to fill the void and properly match the surfaces. I then assembled the two models and used the merge capability of Creo so it would all sew back into one part model.

Shawn, I hope you got the part in time to grow the STL for your presentation.

It was a fun exercise! Thanks.

This solution worked beautifully! I was able to send the part to the printer minutes ago and it should be ready by morning. Should be all set and ready for my presentation tomorrow. You really are a life saver!

Thanks for your time and all your help!

~Shawn

Happy to help, Shawn! Good luck at the presentation.

Top Tags