cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Can't rename a axis

rli
2-Guest
2-Guest

Can't rename a axis

Hi everyone,

In attached model, when I rename the two axis A_2628 & A_2629 to D & E, it come up a error: Name already exists. But I can't find the axis D & E in the model, can anybody help?

This model is copied from another model and I deleted some features for the company confidential reason.

Thanks for any help!

Rick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:rli)

Not sure what to suggest about this part, but I do suggest - Never use automatic axes for datum references. Never. Just create a separate axis feature through the cylinder and rename that. It will lead to a lot fewer problems, like avoiding the mess you have here. The same goes for surfaces. Don't use the surfaces as datum references - create datum planes referencing the surfaces.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
dschenken
21-Topaz I

Look into using the binocular search or the model info and look in there. It is probable that someone changed the name of an automatically created axis that is part of a hole or other arc based feature. It is also possible they are not assigned to axes; even flat surfaces can have names. The Search binoculars can be used to find things by name and the model info should also show names. Model info may be easier to access, harder to search using Notepad or Word, but give each a try and ask if you run into more specific trouble.

Thanks for your reply, David.

In the original model, there have Datum Axis D & E and used for some G&T tolerance, but in the copied model, I can't rename the axis name to D & E, I found the name D & E related to the feature "Extrude 3" because of that if I deleted "Extrude 3" and create another axis then it can be rename to D & E, but I can't find the name D & E in feature "Extrude 3".

When I use File --> Prepare --> Model Properties --> Names, I can't find any name of D & E, if I rename the axis to D & E, it shown "The name you specified is used by internal feature", please see attached picture.

rli
2-Guest
2-Guest

I got the information from my colleague, in the feature of "Extrude 3", the original model have 4 holes, the name D & E are specified to 2 axis of the 4 holes, but in the copied model, he redefinded the feature to deleted the 2 holes, but the name still be occupied by the feature, I don't know if it's a bug of Creo 2.0 or if any method can solve it.

mbonka
15-Moonstone

l think it´s a bug. Same thing happen to me quite (Creo 2.0 M120). Doesn´t matter if it´s a name of axis, extrude or sweep.

Try to restart Creo.

Solution: Use a little bit different name. D ---> D_01

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Not sure what to suggest about this part, but I do suggest - Never use automatic axes for datum references. Never. Just create a separate axis feature through the cylinder and rename that. It will lead to a lot fewer problems, like avoiding the mess you have here. The same goes for surfaces. Don't use the surfaces as datum references - create datum planes referencing the surfaces.

Thank you, David. I think your suggestion is a good way to avoid this issue to happen again, I will take your suggestion and share to my colleagues.

DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock

Is it even an ASME requirement that datums be sequentially named? (I don't think so, but I've been wrong before.)

Couldn't you just skip D & E?

Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I

Rick,

Seems D & E are orphan names in part databases. If possible, submit a Tech. Support case with actual data.

Hey Buddy

This is general issue in PTC creo as well as pro-e, once i faced same problem and i discussed to PTC care they also not able to fix problem but we concluded that once we create any axis by feature like extrude after that if feature is deleted then axis name variable remain in memory so we cannot give that name to any other axis. so best way to resolve, before deleting feature rename that axis random name like zzz1125 so we can use that axis name for any other axis.

jcday
1-Newbie

An axis can be renamed. Tricking part is making it active to then change it's properties. Turn display axis on, select an axix and rmb through axis until you activate the desired axis. LMB to select it, rmb to get menu and select properties. Edit the axis name.

Top Tags