cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Can you exclude elements in a pattern using Pro Program or other methods?

Nick_W
5-Regular Member

Can you exclude elements in a pattern using Pro Program or other methods?

If I have a part with a large pattern of holes in it, is there a way to turn those holes off or on using Pro Program, for different family table instances of that part?

So if this is my generic part.

Nick_W_0-1594416007028.png

and I want one instance of this part to look like this..

Nick_W_1-1594416036066.png

and one instance to look like this

Nick_W_2-1594416058623.png

Is there a way to do that in pro program so I can just create a parameter and turn those specific locations off or on?

Thanks!!

Nick W.

3 REPLIES 3

I don't think that is possible to embed Pro/PROGRAM logic within a Pattern where it remains a "pattern"... typically you get an error like "pattern member should have the same condition as the leader".

It looks like you can do this with a Pattern Tables...  Which is pretty slick...

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS25675

The brute force way would be to create individual/unrelated features with unique names and references, generate a Pro/PROGRAM logic block around each feature and then use a parameter to suppress what you need.   A bit painful to setup -- but works great in the end.

Dave

Nick_W
5-Regular Member
(To:DavidBigelow)

Pattern Table was the direction I thought I might have to go if something like this didn't exist.  Thanks for the input!!

KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:Nick_W)

A way I've done this kind of thing is to put the pattern in as the full grid, then add features to "fill in" the holes I want excluded. I almost hate myself for doing this kind of hacky stuff, but it works. For your situation, you could have a "filling" feature for each configuration, turn them on/off as needed, etc.

It's not an elegant pure pattern solution, but it will work reliably. All on the assumption that you're dealing with simple geometry like your example showed.

Top Tags