cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Cannot make the "PTC_MATERIAL_NAME" parameter flexible????

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Cannot make the "PTC_MATERIAL_NAME" parameter flexible????

I'm adding flexibility to my library fasteners to get them to fill out the repeat regions of the parts lists the way I want, yet when I went to make the parameter "PTC_MATERIAL_NAME" flexible it was not on the list.  If I can't make that flexible it REALLY throws a monkey wrench into my plans.

Does anyone know if there's a Pro/WORKAROUND for this?  Or am I simply stuck using the Pro/FANITY module (again...)?

Grazie!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well, before posting, I tried the technique I suggested and it worked on my system.  But I'm still using Creo 2.0.  Maybe this was "fixed" in later version.

And if "flexed" bolts work for your company - that's great!  Do you guys use Windchill to report the BOM?  Because I'd be curious as to how you manage to report the different bolt instances.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

I'm not sure using flexibility for fasteners is a good idea - but hey - to each his own.

The only Pro/Workaround I can think of is to put into your flexible model a string-type parameter, let's call it "MY_MATERIAL", and a relation:

PTC_MATERIAL_NAME=MY_MATERIAL

However, you lose the key feature of the PTC_MATERIAL_NAME parameter: the drop-down list from which you select one of the multiple materials that are saved in the part.  Without this list, the end-user of your model will not know what to type into the MY_MATERIAL's new value column when they bring it into their assembly.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:pausob)

Actually making fasteners flexible works great.  In our case, sometimes we use MIL-SPEC fasteners, in some cases McMaster-Carr fasteners.  Depends on the application.  No sense in using expensive certified fasteners for non-critical assemblies.  Using flexibility allows the user to use the same fastener model carefully created to the appropriate specification (instead of your typical vendor import garbage), yet be able to easily modify what shows up in the parts lists (i.e. Vendor, Vendor P/N, MS part number, MIL-SPEC, material (text-string not driven by or driving PTC_MATERIAL_NAME), etc.).  Also, in our particular industry, we sometimes have to use very exotic fastener materials to deal with the extremely harsh environment some of these assemblies are designed for.  In addition, I have made a closed-and-ground compression spring library model that, with the flexibility I've built in (OD, wire dia, number of turns, free length, material, and the others I've listed above), this one non-family-table model can be almost any typical compression spring.  AND, with the help of a friend here who's a MUCH better programmer than I, the model as assembled fills out the parts list properly (listing dimensions, different quantities, etc.).  Now, if I have an assembly with a hundred different springs, it's really only one model stored in Windchill.

But, here's the problem with trying to do anything via a relation (I just tried it again per your suggestion but got the same result as when I tried it before.):

* You cannot create a flexible item for a parameter driven by a relation.

http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/index.html#page/assembly%2Fasm%2Fasm_six_sub%2FTo_Define_Varied_Features_for_Flexibility.html%23wwconnect_header

IF it had worked I would have gotten around the problem you mentioned by limiting the choices for the materials to the ones we'd actually use.

Thanks for trying though!

The search continues....

Well, before posting, I tried the technique I suggested and it worked on my system.  But I'm still using Creo 2.0.  Maybe this was "fixed" in later version.

And if "flexed" bolts work for your company - that's great!  Do you guys use Windchill to report the BOM?  Because I'd be curious as to how you manage to report the different bolt instances.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:pausob)

Hmmm, one of the other zillion relations in our start part must have been interfering but I tried again after some other work and suddenly it worked.

To get what we really want we'll have to name the materials what we really want them to say vs. the std materials library name, but at least it's working and populates the BOM now.  We'll have to use Pro/PROGRAM to limit the choices.  I'm also using relations (IF/ELSE/ENDIF) to control the thread length by the bolt length per the appropriate spec.  So, instead of a huge family table covering both bolt diameters and lengths (and materials, etc.), for every separate bolt diameter model we'll have a flexible bolt that should cover everything.  Then I'll probably use an Interchange Assy to allow easy swapping between diameter sizes.  The only thing I'm concerned about is regen time if there's a ton of flexible fasteners in a large assy.  THAT could easily be an issue.  Gotta test it.

Thanks for making me take another, deeper look at this.  Since this works, maybe PTC should pull their documentation that states it does NOT work......

The only other option I see,besides the one already mentioned, is to use a family table.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:Kevin)

.....which is how I handled it before in all my family-table fasteners, but in talking to the Windchill Admin yesterday he wants us to move away from family tables.  I'm not sure I agree with the issues he says he's seeing (unauthorized people changing the table) because you can make the files read-only and make the Cabinet where the fasteners are stored as "Read Only", but, I think that's an uphill battle and I want to try something new anyway to limit the size of the gigantic table I have for my screws/bolts.

I'm going to put a ticket in with PTC and see if they can't find a solution.  Not that I have much hope of that because in the past 23 years I cannot remember more than about 2 times they've actually been able to solve anything, but, for the outrageous sums they're charging for their yearly licenses now, I might as well put them to work....

I'll post if I find a solution.

Oh, and another reason I want to use real PTC materials, is that usually the Engineers that do FEA delete all the material properties of the assembly and instead assign them in Ansys (or Mechanica, etc.).  I think that's a bad habit and the Windchill Admin agrees.  We are moving away from that to prevent mistakes (assignment of the incorrect material in Ansys vs. the materials specified by the Design engineer).  So, from now on, we're working to make EVERY part have the correct material at the creo level.  One less possibility of a mistake.  Plus, as I've found, there is Mechanica and even Ansys available inside of creo now (for a low, low extra price! - LOL).

.... but wait there's more.....    🙂

....and for a limited time.....  🙂  LOL

Top Tags