cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Cannot reference one sketch to another

ptc-5080441
1-Newbie

Cannot reference one sketch to another

I am fairly new to Creo so bear with me. Say I sketch a spline on one datum plane and then start a sketch on a perpendicular datum plane. I want the spline that I sketch on the second perpendicular datum to be coincident with the point on the first spline that insects the second datum that I am currently sketching on. I cannot figure out how to do this. I tried using the Reference button to make the first spline a reference for my second sketch but it doesn't seem to work. I can never get the cursor to snap to a point on the first spline. Any suggestions?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you look carefully at the prompt line in the video, the user activates a references dialog. Use CTRL/ALT to activate the reference selection while creating a curve feasture. This is no different than picking the endpoints of the 1st sketch curves as references prior to creating the new spline.

As an aside, you can create points, and you can create datum points from within a sketch. The difference is that datum points will be visible after you exit the sketch and normal points won't be.

In the image example you posted, that center intersection I would create by adding a datum point at the intersection of the intersecting datum plane to the curve.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Datum Point geometry. You can always reference datum points from one sketch to the other. You can make the datum point coincident with a spline node (after placing the point). You can also reference the endpoints of the 1st spline. You can use the vertical and horizontal relations if you want points to line up without actually being coincident. no need to create reference geometry when this is applicable.

spline reference in sketch.png

The end goal of this is to make boundary blends. Doing some looking on youtube I found a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2IMu7aTnfA and I can follow it up until 1:40. At that point it seems to snap to the end point for that person but I cannot get it to do that for me.

I'd like to be able to do something like the following image where I have guide lines with a boundary blend but at the moment I cant get any of the lines to be coincident so boundary blend wont work.

As for using datum points.

1. I draw a sketch of a spline.

2. Exit the sketch create a datum point that intersections a different datum and the first sketch.

3. Start a sketch on the second datum and I cannot select the datum point to connect the spline .

Am I doing the order wrong?

If you look carefully at the prompt line in the video, the user activates a references dialog. Use CTRL/ALT to activate the reference selection while creating a curve feasture. This is no different than picking the endpoints of the 1st sketch curves as references prior to creating the new spline.

As an aside, you can create points, and you can create datum points from within a sketch. The difference is that datum points will be visible after you exit the sketch and normal points won't be.

In the image example you posted, that center intersection I would create by adding a datum point at the intersection of the intersecting datum plane to the curve.

Top Tags