cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Center line Datums

NickMihelich
6-Contributor

Center line Datums

I'm wondering if there is a better way to create a datum that is centered between two parallel surfaces. I currently measure the distance between the two surfaces then creating a offset datum plane that is the measured distance/2. This however presents a problem if the measured value changes, the created plane is no longer centered. Any ideas on how to better accomplish this?

datum.PNG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Just create a relation (Tools - Relations in WF5.)

distance to offset datum plane = distance between surfaces / 2

example:

dXX= dYY / 2 (just use info - switch dim to see what the dimension symbols are).

In case there is no dimension between the two parallel surfaces, you can always create an analysis feature (make sure to elect to create a parameter with the feature) and use the analysis feature parameter in the relation.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Is there a reason you didn't create the surfaces symetrical about a datum? Maybe you could attach the part so we can see the model intent?

If I designed it i would have unfortunatly I cannot attach the part but i can make it this question simpler. Is there a way to to create a datum plane that is centered parametrically between 2 parallel datum planes?

It depends on how clean you want it, but parametric is not hard.

I would have started with a small hole in the intended slot location followed by a cut for the slot using the axis of the hole as a sketch reference.

I suspect there are many other ways, but this one limits the number of reference features required.

Just create a relation (Tools - Relations in WF5.)

distance to offset datum plane = distance between surfaces / 2

example:

dXX= dYY / 2 (just use info - switch dim to see what the dimension symbols are).

In case there is no dimension between the two parallel surfaces, you can always create an analysis feature (make sure to elect to create a parameter with the feature) and use the analysis feature parameter in the relation.

Top Tags