cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Change Merge Instance by relation/program?

akelly
11-Garnet

Change Merge Instance by relation/program?

I'm doing some simulation work where I want to investigate alternate dimensions AND toggle between different versions of a forging/casting in the simulation. See attached picture.

FORGING.PRT has a family table with a couple of instances.

MACHINING.PRT includes a merge of FORGING.PRT. It also has a family table.  The family table includes different instances of FORGING.PRT.  All of MACHINING.PRT's instances work fine, including picking the correct FORGING.PRT geometry.

I created SIMULATION.PRT part as an inheritance of MACHINING.PRT.  It has varied items of MACHINING.PRT to be able to de-feature and change dimensions.  I'm struggling with how to use different instances of FORGING.PRT from SIMULATION.PRT.

Initial thought is to create a SIMULATION.PRT parameter named &FORGING_TYPE, then write a relation IF &FORGING_TYPE == 1 THEN xxx.  Goal is to bet able to enter &FORGING_TYPE 1 in SIMULATION.PRT, regenerate it, and it uses instance FORGING-1 in the geometry; enter &FORGING_TYPE 2 in SIMULATION.PRT, regenerate it, and it uses instance FORGING-2 in the geometry, etc.

Hopefully this is possible since MACHINING.PRT family table is already able to use different instances of the FORGING.PRT geometry. But I don't want to use specific instances of MACHINING.PRT in SIMULATION.PRT - that defeats the purpose of having varied items.

As an alternative, I'd be happy enough to be able vary FORGING.PRT dimension &d3 from SIMULATION.PRT.  I'm not sure that's possible with this part structure, though.

simulation.png

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags