cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Complex Air Duct Sweep Help

keaner
6-Contributor

Complex Air Duct Sweep Help

Hi Modelers,

Using Creo 4.

I am designing a complex air duct. The duct has two different inlet/out profiles, sweeps downward and moves right to left. There is an mid wall inside the duct which at the inlet end sits about a third to the left hand side and then finishes in the middle at the outlet.

My design approach has been to complete a wire frame of reference sketches, datum points and splines to achieve the shape. I then use boundary blends to make up the different duct wall sections. I then merge the walls, thicken and remove the excess.

Capture1.JPG

Wire frame

Capture2.JPG

Boundary blends

Capture3.JPG

Thickened - Outlet End

Capture7.JPG

Rear Iso View - Inlet End

The challenge I face is to maintain a constant (or close to) smooth inner duct chamber profile on both sides. As air flows through each duct chamber the goal is for a stable airflow speed (little increase) and minimal pressure drop at the outlet. This is achieved by transitioning between the start/end profiles in a smooth fashion without collapsing the profile and keeping the cross sectional area as constant as possible.

Capture8.JPG

The green lines shown the internal chamber profiles. The main problem is here as they are not smooth.

Please note I am aware of the mid duct wall not looking right. This is an easy fix (tuning of datum points). Outside profile solution is the main issue.

The below views show the areas of the duct geometry which aren't controlled and have blown out.

Capture4.JPG

Side Elevation

Capture5.JPG

Front Elevation

Capture6.JPG

Plan View 

My questions:
1. This this the right modeling approach to tackle this part?
2. Or do I just need more reference sketches to control the sweep? 

Appreciate anyone who can help.

File attached.

Cheers,

Ray

31 REPLIES 31

This makes me want to do one for fun where the outlet end is twisted a little but still parallel to the inlet.  Then maybe.....  😉

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:keaner)

Man, this center rib was a PITA to get a nice consistent 2mm thickness and not violate the outer surfaces, especially since the rib was severely offset on the inlet end AND twisted.

Top Tags