cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Conical thread not possible?

SylvainA.
4-Participant

Conical thread not possible?

I'm trying to make a conical thread onto a cylindrical part. I tried to insert an helical sweep cut with a sweep profile not parallel to the axis of revolution but, when I want to preview, Pro/E tells me "Could not intersect part with feature." I think that it could be due to the "chip" becoming tinier and tinier... Does anyone have an advice?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
15 REPLIES 15

Hello Sylvain, Try projecting a straight line onto your cyinder. Then use the projected line for the trajectory of the swept cut. Mike
SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:MikeKelly)

Thanks Mike, I maybe misunderstand what you meant, but if I project a line onto the cylinder I'll got a line which will be parallel to the axis of revolution, whereas I want to have a conical thread. I'm going to try a cutout between the cylinder and a conical thread made using an helical sweep protrusion.
SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:SylvainA.)

I tried a cutout operation (in an assembly) and it completely failed... The cutout feature is in the cylinder model tree but its 3D display is crazy: I can see the cylinder (with no cut at all) and (when in shaded view) the negative side of the solid thread I used for the cutout process !

Sylvain, You mean like this picture? Two hints: (1)Before creating the Helical Sweep, create a Revolved Cut with an angled line to remove most of the material; this will make things a lot easier. (2)Make the base dimension of your cutting triangle slightly less than the pitch; this will also help avoid any geom check type errors. David
SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:DavidButz)

Hello David, I can't see the picture as, on my workstation, imageshack is locked... Here is exactly what I want to do (look at the thread run-out on the male side): The standard way is to remove almost all the material before threading the pipe (the result is a conical shape). I tried this first but I had the same problem ("Could not intersect part with feature." ).
SylvainA.
4-Participant

Here are the kind of products I'm designing (look at the thread run-out in the coupling on page #3) http://www.ceratizit.com/downloads/catalogue/GD_PRO-0130-0207_EN.pdf

Sylvain, Sorry you couldn't view the image. I would be happy to email you a JPEG and the Pro/E model if you like. You can contact me at david.butz@verizon.net. Meanwhile, I'm sure your geometry can be created, and don't know exactly what is giving you difficulty. By the way, are you trying to create a Cut or a Surface? I will look at the details of your particular thread when I have a chance. David
SylvainA.
4-Participant

I'd like to make a cut... I'm going to send you my assembly. It's only a tryout but it symbolizes quite well what I want to do. I think that THE big issue is that I need to have an overlapped cut (that's the way threading inserts work). I maybe need to make a couple of helical sweep cut (not overlapping) instead of one...
SylvainA.
4-Participant

PS: I'll be pleased if you (english-speaking users) could correct my english mistakes

Sylvain, You don't need to apologize for your English; I hadn't even noticed. I think I understand your problem now. You are trying to helically sweep the entire multi-tip threading insert. That will create an overlapping geometry problem for Pro because one tooth will follow right behind another. You need to sweep one tooth shape through the entire cut if possible. It can also simplify things if you create necessary fillets, etc. with additional features afterwards. (Of course, if you have a multi-start thread you will need more than one sweep, which you can do with a pattern, but that's not the situation here.) If you need to do something a little fancy, like showing the intersection of the tube seal geometry with the thread, you can create 2 separate pieces of Surface geometry, Merge the 2, then use the Merge to cut away material with Solidify. David

Can you see the image now?

Sylvain, Is this something like you're looking for?

Close up at the sealing end.
SylvainA.
4-Participant

No imageshack at work (access policy)

anonymous wrote:

Content blocked by your organization Reason: This Websense category is filtered: Personal Network Storage and Backup. URL: http://www.imageshack.us/

SylvainA.
4-Participant

Thanks for your help
Top Tags