cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Constraints placed in ASSEMBLY, instead of in PART

jsparre
3-Visitor

Constraints placed in ASSEMBLY, instead of in PART

CASE:

I often use wires, flex-pcb and other "bendable" parts in my constructions (I know the pictures show an assembly, but I'll just call it a Part for now). I like them to look right when they are used in an assembly, both for visual comprehension, but also for checking assembly process/fitting etc.On the other hand i want my "part" to look "unbend" when I display it on it's specification drawing. The part will have dimensions etc. that relate to the parts unbend state. Furthermore the part can be used in many different assemblies, with different bend configurations.

• One option is Family-Tables. But FamilyTables together with PDM-Link is a nightmare from a maintenance aspect, and I will prefer not to use tis option.
  • Another solution could be to store the bend parameters the same way as quantity is stored. "When this part is used in this Assembly, use these bend constraints". Quantity would never be stored in the partdata.

1.jpg2.jpg

IDEA:

An assembly shall be able to store constraints about bends, that only exists when "this Part is used in this Assembly".  If I open the Part itself, it shall look like I designed it, "with no bends".

This can be used with wires, cables, flex-pcb's etc.

/Jon

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Have you tried to do it as a flexible component?

jsparre
3-Visitor
(To:jsparre)

Hi Wayne

With flexible components I cannot turn on/off features, only change dimensions if I recall correct. Furthermore the idea was not to fill up the part with information that is only valid in specific combinations of part/assembly. There is also the practical aspect of not having to change the part, just because I have to use it in a new assembly.

Tnx for your input

/Jon

Top Tags