cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Create a hollow pattern on curved surface?

ptc-4693200
1-Newbie

Create a hollow pattern on curved surface?

Hi everyone,

I use Pro-E and would like some advice on how to create a hollow pattern on a curved surface (the surface is curved in both directions). I attach a file.. I created a random pattern on the top DTM but now what I would like that it is projected on the curved surface underneath and that is creates holes (tapered if possible once the surface will be thickened)

Thank you very much for your help!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

select those curves use Project(Edit) selct the surface on which u want to project curves, and by using trim command u can hv ur desire pattern.. give thikness after

I looked a whole day to see if I could do this. I don't know how I overlooked the trim option

That is how I ended up finding the extrude-thin-remove-material method for surface cuts.

I did this recently with text. If you need taper to the cuts, you may need to thicken the surface 1st. Then you can project the holes as a solid with the remove material option. You can taper the extrusion from the current plane using the taper option for the extrusion. Problem with this method is that the actual shape on the surface will be different than your master pattern.

If you want to simply cut the holes out of the surface, you can extrude the holes through the surface but use the surface option instead of solid. Extruding a surface through a surface will allow you to remove material. From there you have a few options for adding thickness and tapers when making the solid object.

There are other methods, but knowing a little more about your end goal might be helpful. Projection accuracy at the curved surface and tapper requirements (normal to surface or simple planer mold-pull draft) all need the looked at a little differently.

Hi all, thanks for your replies; I will try these options later today and will upload a snapshot of the result when successful. A big thank you!

You could just thicken the surface, and extrude these as a cut. Sounds like you're making it too difficult, more than it needs to be. Now, if you wanted these "WRAPPED" instead of "projected", different story, but if you're just projecting these shapes a solid cut will work fine. Then you can draft the cuts in any direction you want (plane), or use a curve for each "hole" based on a curve of the edge.

Top Tags