cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Create sheet metal part defining the profile geometry

pvn
8-Gravel
8-Gravel

Create sheet metal part defining the profile geometry

Hey guys,

I am creating a long Z shaped bracket. And I would like to control the profile and it's dimensions. 

Is there a way in Creo to sketch a profile and extrude it out?

Another option is obviously to draw one of the surfaces and then add a flange and then anoter flange. That can work for me as well. But I am curious if I can do that with the profile sketch.

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The "first wall" is a special designation in sheet metal given to the first solid geometry feature in a sheet metal part.  Your part already had it's first wall designated - the Planar 1 feature.  That is automnatic since it was the first feature.

In sheet metal, you can't insert or create solid geometry before/above that first wall feature.

Just delete Planar 1, Flat 2, & Flat 3 and then create your extrude feature.

Snap88.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Use the Extrude tool in sheet metal.  Sketch your profile and extrude as normal.  The sheet metal extrude will automatically add bends to any sharp edges.  See attachment.

What Creo version do you use? I have 4.0 and it doesn't have this function. The "Extrude" it does have doesn't give options for the bend radius. It only makes the extrusion as per solid standards.

11072017_1.png

Creo 4 M020.  It's not a new functionality.

It's the extrude button right in the middle of your screen shot.  At the top of the "Shapes" section.

If you have existing geometry in your sheet metal part the Extrude tool will default to remove material.  Turn that button off to create geometry.

For some reason in my case when I click Extrude, I get an option of making a sketch but there's no option for the functions that you have in your screenshot.

Thank you for your patience.

11072017_2.png

You can't create sheet metal features before the sheet metal "first wall" feature.  Move that extrude below your first wall and you should be set.  Or start over from scratch - you'll have to anyways if you want to use this method.

I am sorry. how do you create the "first wall" feature?

Do I create a Planar feature and then draw a sketch based on it?

The "first wall" is a special designation in sheet metal given to the first solid geometry feature in a sheet metal part.  Your part already had it's first wall designated - the Planar 1 feature.  That is automnatic since it was the first feature.

In sheet metal, you can't insert or create solid geometry before/above that first wall feature.

Just delete Planar 1, Flat 2, & Flat 3 and then create your extrude feature.

Snap88.png

Thank you! 🙂 Got it. So easy. It's interesting that they just don't work together even if the feature is suppressed.

Thank you for your patience and help. I really appreciate it!

Glad you got it working.

That first wall feature can be difficult to work with.  Even in CP4 there's no way to redesignate the first wall to some other feature (that I'm aware of) and you can't create a surrogate first wall feature above the true one.  As you discovered, if you wanted to use a completely different type of feature for the first wall (i.e. changing from Planar feature to an Extrude feature) it means starting over from scratch.

Top Tags