cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Creating a "Tarp" (Wrapping a closed datum curve)?

bgalanti
5-Regular Member

Creating a "Tarp" (Wrapping a closed datum curve)?

I'm basically trying to create a surface that looks like a tarp over the geometry. Basically to take a rectangular surface and "drape" it over geometry.

I've tried a number of different techniques, and using Wrap is the closest I've gotten, but it's still not quite right.  The reason I was using wrap was I wanted to keep the lengths of each edge of the tarp a fixed length, and then have them just end up wherever they go.

However,  when I try to do this, I can't seem to get the beginning and the end of the curve to match up. Creo seems to be trying to force the sides to be horizontal, when they shouldn't be.

I tried using a spline to as an experiment, so that I just had a single curve, but there was still the discontinuity at the beginning/end point. Is there any way to force the wrap to keep the closed shape of the original sketch? I've played some with the Center option and a sketched coordinate system in the wrap command, but I haven't quite figured out exactly how that works, and the help doesn't really explain it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there some other method I should be trying?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:bgalanti)

The advantage of the Wrap is that it DOES keep the lengths the same.  BUT, I can already see an issue with what you're trying to do:  You're trying to wrap a curve on 2 separate areas where the geometry is different (that stepped area to the left) so right there you're going to have problems.  I'm surprised it worked at all, what was it supposed to do with that short vertical face?  You're trying to stretch the wrap there, and it SHOULD have failed.  HOWEVER, you should be able to trim the curve segments afterward.

bgalanti
5-Regular Member
(To:Patriot_1776)

I wasn't sure if wrap would stretch on vertical faces or not. I'll try putting a small draft on all the vertical faces and see if that helps. It's probably a bit more "realistic" anyway, since a tarp wouldn't conform to vertical surfaces.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

From what I saw, you're asking the Wrap (tarp) to stretch, that MIGHT help.

bgalanti
5-Regular Member

Yeah, the whole thing I'm trying to get at is NO stretch of the edges. I tried adding a bit of draft along all the height changes, and rounds at all the edges so that there weren't any vertical surfaces or discontinuities, but that didn't help (see the attached picture).

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Yeah, you're asking for more than the Wrap was designed to do.  You ARE asking it to stretch, only in certain areas.  You'll probably have to end up extending and trimming the curves to get what you want.

Good luck!

'Flatten Quilt' maybe? I don't know if it would handle the corners but worth a try!

Good luck

John

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:John.Pryal)

'Morning John!  Yeah, good call, I forgot to suggest that.  Me, I've never actually had occasion to try it so I'm unfamiliar with it.  I've managed to do everything I've needed to do without it, never needed to do anything like this.  Worth a try for him perhaps! 

bgalanti
5-Regular Member

Flatten quilt is the path I started going down yesterday and it might be the right option. I was able to flatten a quilt, then trim up the flattened quilt to make it square. Then I used flatten-quilt deformation to drape the now square "tarp" back over the items. It worked pretty well, but I only did a small portion of my "cargo"

The trick now is to create a good quilt to flatten. I think I might try creating some curves down the length using cross sections, and then see if I can tweak them so it doesn't look quite so much like a vacuum pack. Then I can blend a surface between the curves and try flattening that.

We'll see how it goes...

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Are you trying to design a specific size tarp for a particular cargo application?  Knowing what you're trying to do is always helpful.  Like me knowing what the duct work was for in another thread here.

bgalanti
5-Regular Member

Well, they are trying to see what kind of coverage various tarp sizes would give so they know what to order. So, I'm trying to give a rough visualization of what the various sizes would look like when strapped down for transport over the system.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Sounds like there's WAY easier ways to figure that out.  I'd say you could easily figure that out with 2 surfaces at 90deg to each other intersecting the objects representing the "packages", then do intersections (curve creation), and measure the length of the resultant curve.  As long as you have the coverage down the side that you want, it'd be fast and accurate enough for gov't work as they say.

Top Tags