Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting profile cylinders with surfaces

Cutting profile cylinders with surfaces

Hello, community,
I am still using Creo1.0 and have a problem cutting with surfaces created via Trajpar.
With a straight cylinder without profile this works but if I insert a notch I get an error message.
My real goal is to cut a twisted profile cylinder (hidden in the file). Here it only works in one direction.
Where is my fault?

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Cutting profile cylinders with surfaces

You model is an academic version so I cannot see the model, but I can see the icon sufficiently.

Were you using merge to trim the surfaces or a sweep-cut?

You can try intersect; you can try trim...  The intersect shape is somewhat complex. 

Creo has a hard time with these sometimes.

Is there a reason you are doing this in an empty assembly file rather than a part file?

Hello,
you're right, I wanted to build a simulation model in ASM and thought simple bodies were going there.

I have now built the model in PRT and in the commercial Version.

My problem: I want to cut stripes out of a turned profile surface but can't get the body trimmed with an opposite turned surface. On the other hand, I can create a cutting line. The surfaces are controlled by relations with the Trajpar function.
Where is the error?

You that the cut you will make is a simple linear cosine intersect, right?

I hope I understand you correctly. I want to cut with a Helix surface.

The profile shape of the body to be cut is arbitrary (in this example it is a curve with cosine function).

Interesting... didn't know that was there in the trim feature:

Creo 3 attached:

Notice that I extended the two ends 1st. 

This is in order to manage the thickness at the ends.

thick_trim.PNG

Thanks, the cut works now. Only unfortunately the cut body remains.
But I want to keep or continue to use exactly this cut out strip.

Do you have any idea how I could keep this stripe?

Yes, the option above thickness is to "keep trimming surface"

I  have now updated to creo 3.0. I didn't make myself clear.

That's why I added a cylinder surface with a straight profile for demonstration purposes. This allows me to cut tapes in both directions using trajpar controlled cut surfaces (see group PROFIL_GERADE).
But if I twisted the cylinder surface I can only cut in one direction (see group PROFIL_GEDREHT) hidden in the model. I don't understand why.

It is really hard to say when things go bad in Creo. 

Your troubleshooting method is correct.

When you believe a function should work and you find it simply won't, I suggest creating a support case if you have the option.

In this case, yes, it happens to me a lot when I use "exotic" features and try to further manipulate them.

I consider "exotic" any surface or edge that has a formula defining a shape or continuous surface definitions for things like boundary blends or rounds.

These are features that are most likely to fail with only minor changes.  I find myself having to manage the features fails with a completely different method to achieve my goals.  Sometimes I have to give up the exotic elements.

What is your end goal?

Announcements
LiveWorx Call For Papers Happening Now!