cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Datum Center Plane for Feature of Size

rbray
1-Newbie

Datum Center Plane for Feature of Size

I'm new to Creo but not to CAD. I often dimesion to the centerplane of a feature of size.

I've been told that when creating a datum plane in Creo there is no option for datum centered between planes.

I just want to verify that this is true and centerplanes must be created by using a relation or creating geometry at the center of my feature to use as reference.

Very disappointed if this is the case.

7 REPLIES 7
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:rbray)

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/1709

It's under consideration. Hope this helps.

A very good Question one that I am trying to figure out as well.  Have you been able to create Coordinate Systems using actual Features of Size.  Your center plane for example, a bore and the width of a slot.  I am new to CAD and Cero but not new to Inspection, Inspection Software or GD&T. Datum Plane and Datum Features are indeed quite different things.  Thank you for your time and consideration.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Dale, you got caught up in the forum linking proplem...

Middle Datum Plane (between 2 selected surfaces or planes) - midplane

rbray
1-Newbie

Thanks for verifying. I hope this consideration gets a lot of weight put on it.

I don't know if this can be solved with UDF.datums inserted exactly in between with the use of relation.just a thought.

wbottis
12-Amethyst
(To:gkrishna)

I really can't tell from this string if the original question was answered.  A centerplane is designated by assigning a datum plane to the dimension of a feature of size.  This could be done very easily in Creo 3.  How is this done now in Creo 5?  Thanks.

wbottis
12-Amethyst
(To:wbottis)

OK, it looks like when I hover over the dimension witness line in the graphics window in an attempt to assign a datum feature symbol to that dimension (to designate a center plane datum), the witness line does not highlight.  So, I change the selection filter to 'witness line' and try again.  Still no luck.  The witness line does not highlight.  So, I hover over the witness line again, right-click > select 'witness line' > and finally it works.  The witness line is able to be selected.  idk wth...

Top Tags