cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Decimal difference model vs drawing

AlexCote
7-Bedrock

Decimal difference model vs drawing

Hi,

is there a way that I can keep the 3D model dimensions with decimals, but that by default when creating dimensions in a drawing there is no decimal (we are working in millimeters) ?

We needed to keep the decimals for modeling, but that impact the drawings dimensions as well. We have to change every dimensions to 0 decimal manually.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JLG
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:AlexCote)

When creating dimensions in a drawing, you can set the number of decimal places to be used by going to the Annotate tab, and picking Format > Decimal Places.  You will be prompted for dimensions you want to change, but you don't have to pick any.  Now the default number of decimal places is set, and after that, any dimensions you create will have that number of decimal places.

HTH

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
StephenW
23-Emerald II

You can use the ROUND DIMENSION checkbox in the dimension properties.

round.jpg

Hi Stephen,

well that's pretty much what we have been doing for while now, to change the "Decimal places" to zero.

What I am looking for, is a config option that would do that by default but only for drawing dimensions. I need to keep decimal for model dimensions.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I don't know of any option that will get you there. There is a config option for automatically checking the round checkbox "round_displayed_dim_values" but it's default value is yes so you may already be using that.

I'm assuming you are creating your dimensions in your drawing. You could make a mapkey that searches your drawing for created dimensions, goes to properties, changes the decimal places to 0. 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:StephenW)

Isn't there a detail.dtl file setting for default_dec_places that will only apply to the draing and not change the model?

Not that I know of, I ckecked before posting in "Drawing Properties" - "Detail options" and there is nothing about that.

Thanks for the try Stephen, as you suppose we already use the option for rounded dimension, but it is independent from the decimal places.

Been working with ProE for the last 17 years now, and still amaze of how sometime it can achieve amazing things, but can't get things that seems so simple as an option for something that can already be control

I will give some time to the forum users and see, but I might end up opening a ticket with PTC, just to make sure.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Same here. I always tell everyone that pro/e drawing mode sucks. Definitely worth a shot to open a support ticket. Sometimes they surprise you.

I guess the following confings are all that there is to it.

default_dim_num_digits yes

default_dec_places 2

sketcher_dec_places 3

The option default_dec_places influences what's shown on each new drawing. I don't think setting default_dim_num_digits to no will change anything, but maybe I'm wrong.

Find tool and mapkey are propably your best bet.

I forgot to mention that we are using Creo 2.0 M100.

The option sketcher_dec_places, does not seem to exist in that version.

sketcher options.jpg

It can be set if you are using the same drawing format

P Larsen

Not sure I understand what you mean, but if it is that in the drawing setup it can be set, then I will have ask you what is the option. I checked the "drawing properties" - "details options" and found nothing that could do that.

Maybe I missed it ...

Alexandre,

I hope that you know the following workaround in CR2:

• activate Annotate tab
  • set selection filter to Dimension
  • select all dimensions - make selection rectangle by mouse
  • click RMB and use Properties
  • set number of decimal places

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

That is basically what we do now, and that I would like to eliminate ... if possible 

JLG
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

When creating dimensions in a drawing, you can set the number of decimal places to be used by going to the Annotate tab, and picking Format > Decimal Places.  You will be prompted for dimensions you want to change, but you don't have to pick any.  Now the default number of decimal places is set, and after that, any dimensions you create will have that number of decimal places.

HTH

AlexCote
7-Bedrock
(To:JLG)

Thanks JLG

Can't believe I did not see that one before ... I do remember it from previous version though.

This is the best workaround that I can see so far. Will create a mapkey to set it to zero, just have to remember to run before starting to add dimensions.

By the way, I did check with PTC and got confirmation that the option do not exist as I ask.

was suggest to submit a Product Idea at PTC Communities.

Thanks all, for submitting suggestions and ideas.

Top Tags