cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Defining an object's transparency results in loss of color (it becomes white)

sdániel
1-Newbie

Defining an object's transparency results in loss of color (it becomes white)

Hello!

I have a problem that I can't seem to be able to fix.

This was a project work for an university class last semester. I had to fully model an item of choice, I should have already finished it, actually it is finished since long, but I can't properly render it, because when i define the transparency of the main shaft, it becomes white and buggy. I asked my teacher multiple times, but he couldn't give me a solution, as far as I've noticed his opinion is that fixing it would take too much effort and so he told me to just render it as it is (being white and buggy), and he'll accept it, cause I've topped the class regardless in quality of work.

The thing is, not being able to fully finish this drill is bugging me, even so because this would be my demonstration of value when applying for a job in the future, and I can't just go there and show them a buggy product.

So apart from the story, I can provide 2 test videos, one without defining the transparency at all of the main shaft, then the second with a defined 100% visibility. Also pictures to show how I defined the transparency.

If somebody could give me some tips on how to fix this, I'd really appreciate it.

I use PTC Creo Parametric 3.0 M070 student version.

Version1, without defining transparency:

MECHTESZT2 - YouTube

Version 2, transparency defined:

MECHTESZT - YouTube

The way I defined transparency:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

12 REPLIES 12

Hi,

I tested simple animation created by commands Trans @ Time (see attached video) in CR2 M070 and CR3 M100 and it works well.

MH

Martin Hanák

What OS?

What Graphics Card?

What Graphics Card Driver?

Is this in an emulator on a Apple computer?

‌Thanks for the replies, unfortunately i cant watch the video from my phone bút ill check it out as soon as i get to my pc.

I Use a laptop, lenovo Y50-70 from 2014.07, specs are:

intel 4710hq processor

gtx 860m grahics

i dönt know the driver but ill check asap

windows 8.1 os.

I Think the problem originates from some kind of error in the process of defining the transparency, őr because i have 2 main shafts installed at once (Same assembly, but different joints)

ill upload pics and/őr videó from the final assembly too asap só you can see the real picture, still this is just a test assembly but the same thing occurs

Hi,

you can also create some test data for me and upload them using How to Attach a File to a Discussion Reply procedure.

I can load your data and run your animation on my PC.

MH

Martin Hanák

Sorry for replying so late, I had a really busy week, also I had to switch my focus from this project to more urgent things. Due to that I had to quickly finish it, render it and burn it on CD to hand it in as the previously mentioned school project. Honestly, it looks like crap, and it makes my hearth ache, knowing how much work I've put into it, and how terrible it looks as of now (due to visibility bugs, and also a little modification in the event time tables would help it, and speed reduction, etc)

Regardless, this is the final video, I think you can see most of the visual bugs that I couldn't fix. I plan on perfecting this model for later use, I'd do it when I need practice and have free time for it (tho I dont think I could progress on my own from this point regarding the visual bugs).

NIMBUSZ - YouTube

As for the test data, could you please help me with that? I mean like be a bit more specific, as of now I don't know what you mean and even if I did, I wouldn't know how to create it.

Thanks!

I see a lot of complaints about rendering with the GTX860m.

Nvidia targets this to DirectX, and I am pretty sure PTC still depends on OpenGL. Maybe different drivers are required. I can't tell which because people who say they fixed the problems with new drivers never say what drivers worked.

You can try re-rendering with OpenGL turned off. Try adding the config option "graphics win32_gdi" to config.pro and restart.

Hi,

test data = Creo files (assemblies, parts, ...) which enable community members to reproduce your problem.

MH

Martin Hanák
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:sdániel)

Did you change the value or leave it at 0? Your images show the value at 0.

sdániel
1-Newbie
(To:Kevin)

Right, I've changed it as the last picture shows, its only that I pressed print screen before i've changed the value. Sorry, my mistake.

Kevin
10-Marble

Are these imported models (ie. from step or iges)? How did you apply the appearances? I think I may have reproduced what you are seeing and it appears to be related to how the appearances are applied. If you apply appearances to surfaces and the check box for ignore surface properties is checked it will show the base model color. I'm guessing in your case you applied the color to the model surfaces. When you do two appearances should show as being applied to the model when you check the appearance gallery, the Creo default is a white to light grey. The same seems to be true for an import model the colors seem to get applied to surfaces. Try applying an appearance to the model not just the surfaces of the model. To do that select the color and then select the model name in the model tree. The other thing I noticed is the transparency setting doesn't keep changes for a transparency that has already been created, I had to delete it and redefine. I don't have video but I'll upload some images of what I'm getting.

Kevin
10-Marble

Here are the images for what I'm seeing:

1) Applied appearance to solid surfaces

surface1.png          surface2.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Settings and results in Animation

surface3.PNGsurface4.png  surface5.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

surface6.PNGsurface7.pngsurface8.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Applied appearance to model and applied second appearance to top and side surfaces

surface9.PNGsurface10.PNGsurface11.PNG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) Settings and results in Animation

surface12.PNGsurface13.pngsurface14.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

surface15.PNGsurface16.pngsurface17.png

Kevin
10-Marble

Also check your part appearances. One thing that could be happening is if the part is an imported part from step or iges the colors that are applied my be the issue. You may need to clear the appearances from the models and re-apply them.

Top Tags