cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Delete reference model but keep the features that depends on it

oskarisacson
5-Regular Member

Delete reference model but keep the features that depends on it

Hi!

I was just wondering if there is a way to build my model around a model from an stp-file that is solid and then delete it somehow. Just like making a shell for a turtle, where the turtle is the stp-file and the shell is built around it in a single part file using references from the stp. I would love some help on this, please.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

Create a Shell feature with a negative thickness and do not remove any surfaces. The interior will be hollowed out where the STEP file used to be. Your thickness must be less than the minimum inside radius of the STEP file though.

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.mcaeconsulting.com

You could probably use a pair of merges, once to add material, then a second to remove material after you've created features, in order to do what you are trying.

So I would say save your step as a Creo part, then merge it in to your actual part, add your features that depend on it, then (using the same assembly you used for the first merge) subtract your reference part out, leaving only the features you are interested in, while still letting them be dependent on the no-longer-present reference part.

Top Tags