cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Delete references from copied geometry

ptc-4890452
1-Newbie

Delete references from copied geometry

Hi!

I have a part where I have used "Copy geometry" to copy some geometry from another part.

Is it somehow possible to get rid of the references and dependencies to the part where I copied the geometri from, and replace them with internal references?

Best regards

Esben

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10

Copy Geom dashboard > Options > untick Dependent

Don't know what you mean by "replace them with internal references?", the resultant neutral geom will have some placement refs?

Not sure I understand, when I make a sketch that is referenced off Copy Geom, I delete the references, solve the sketch and then redim the sketch to makes sure it's defined well.

Sometimes I wish that you could just keep working and have a global remove references that would solve the missing per it's current position/location but I bet that would be messy.

Setting the copy geom to independent does not remove the reference to the original part, it simply means changes to the source will not propagate to the target. They are still 'tied' together and you can later set it back to dependant if you'd like.

The only way to remove the tie between parts it is to reroute all the children to new, local references. You may need to recreate new, native geometry in the part to duplicate the copied geometry. Once you've rerouted all the children, you can then delete the copy geom and the part should be independent.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

If the original changes and the Copy Geom doesn't update then it is no longer referenced to it, it's no longer associative, it's neutral geom. in the same way that a .stp file doesn't update if the source file changes. Yes the connection can be re established but that's beside the point.

He asked:

Is it somehow possible to get rid of the references and dependencies to the part where I copied the geometri from, and replace them with internal references?

I took that to mean completely remove the connection between the two files. Making the copy geom independent does not remove the external reference and dependency between the two models, it simply suspends it. It is not like a STEP or IGES file which is a one time read in of geometry, Creo maintains the relationship between the two files even though it does not update the geometry. In order to remove that connection, the copy geom feature must be removed and to do so the children must be rerouted.

If all he wants to do is prevent the geometry from updating but he doesn't mind the files being still tied together, then making the copy geom independent will work.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
vzak
6-Contributor
(To:dgschaefer)

One more step to "destroy" dependency of Copygeom on the original : after it is already set Independent, go to Info / Reference Viewer / switch to Dependency mode / select this Copygeom as current object / get reference arrow to copygeom parent / over this line, RMB "Break Dependency".

This is still "reversible" break (with Redefine), but no dependency will be reported in PDM.

Thank you for the answer. This seems like a good way to do it.

You understood it right Doug. Thank you for the help. I was just hoping that there were an easier way out, than creating new native geometry. The "break dependency" method that Vladimir describes, seems to work though.

Hello,

Collapse the Geometry into either an Independent Geometry feature, or an Imported Feature.

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried to do so, but the collapse option was greyed out. I tried to follow the instructions in the help files, but I couldn't make it work.

Top Tags