cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Design optimization to cause failure at predefined loading

dandersonjr
1-Newbie

Design optimization to cause failure at predefined loading

Would there be a way to evaluate stresses in a volume region with in a part?
I would like all of the stresses in a small volumeregion of the part to be at least a certain value and varythe size of another pro/e feature in the part until the volume stress limit is reached.
I don't want just a point in the volume region to be evaluated but either have all of the stresses in this volume region be atthe minimum value or more. Would it also be possiblerun another analysis andhavethe average stress in this volume regionbe at the minimum stress value I set as a criteria? What would be the best way to do this? I'm trying to optamize a part to a predefined failure point.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don A

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Don,

Not sure if stress measures can reference volumes or not, but you could create an assembly out of your part and the small region of interest. Mechanical will treat the surfaces in contact as bonded. You then may be able to create stress measures over the part which is essential the small volume of interest. If this method works you should be able to easily create a variety of design studies using the newly created stress measures. To create the design studies you would just use the stress measures as your "constraints" while using the model dimensions as your design variables.

Steve

Hi Don,

You can create aMeasure that evaluates 'near' a point within a given radius from it. Effectively, this evaluates a maximum/minimum value within a spherical volume centered on that point. While not exactly a volume region with an arbitraty shape, this may help get you closer to the solution.

Hope this helps,

/Petter

I have submitted a enhancement request E7280217
Both of the responses above kinda get me what I want.
What I'm really looking for is the true average stress within a volume region.
The only options that exist under the spatial Evaluation are for Minimum, Maximum, or at a Point.
Depending on the distribustion of the stress. Using the avaible measures may not get youclose to thetrue average

Thanks to those that responded

Don A<u></u>

Top Tags