Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detailing part list using PRO-E

Detailing part list using PRO-E

Is it possible to make a part list with size of the part in Pro-E which can be automatically changed according to the change of the model[/b]
12 REPLIES 12

Reporting Model Size

Sunil, I don't know what you mean by "size", but several things are possible. The "size" of a part as it is sorted by Simplified Reps, for example, is the diagonal of the "bounding box" (smallest XYZ box that will enclose the model); you could plug this value into a user-created parameter called SIZE. There are also system-created parameters PRO_MP_MASS & PRO_MP_VOLUMES whose values can be plugged into a table. Whatever parameter you decide on using can be placed in a column of a table. If you haven't yet learned about Tables and Repeat Regions, look up the topics in the Help or Tips & Techniques files. David

Bounding box dimensions

What he really means is "length x width x thickness". My company uses this in the BOM therefore it would be nice to have them as parameters that will change with the part. I have looked allover and couldn't find anything on this. We do know about the "bounding box" diagonal but can you do a bounding box x, y, z dimensions to be displayed in the BOM?

Bounding Box Measurement

Sunil, I don't believe you can access the XYZ dimensions of the bounding box for your purposes; too bad! However, if it's worth the effort, there are ways to extract the information you need. Basically, you can create your own "bounding box" in various ways. For example you can (1)Create six Datum Planes which just touch the model at its extents in the 3 axes of interest, (2)Create a Surface box just enclosing the model, or (3)Create 2 Sketched Datum Curves (on perpendicular planes) capturing the model extents. Now you measure the appropriate distances (between planes or edge lengths), save the measurements as features, capture them in Parameter Relations, and incorporate the Parameters into your Table. The relations can be a little tricky. For example, if HEIGHT is one of your parameters and ANALYSIS_DISTANCE_1 with Feature I.D. #183 the cooresponding measurement, your relation could be written as follows: HEIGHT=DISTANCE:FID_183. This is probably not worth the effort, but it's a possibility. David

WxHxL

Sunil and Adrian, I should have added that, if the geometry is simple enough, the Distance Analysis Features can be created directly (between a plane and a vertex, for example), without the need for an artificial bounding box. David

RE: WxHxL

Sunil We do this by using relations and maping dimensions in the model to a string parameter shown in the table. example: str_x=itos(d1) str_y=itos(d2) str_Z=itos(d3) str_outersize=str_x + str_y + str_z Note: you may have to add a ref dim if none of the existing dimensions in the model represents the total length.

Best solution

From what I've read till now on the net I see the best solution would be to make a manual analysis and save it as length, width, height... and to get it faster you can make a mapkey to prompt you for selecting the measuring points (planes edges...) and save them for you in a custom parameter. Hugo has an interesting point there by using the dimensions from the first feature IF from that base feature you will only develop down by means of cuts and not up by means of adding material to the base feature. Sure would like to have something easier. The "bounding box" diagonal seems to be a computed analysis and therefore the "bounding box" x, y, z should be in the program somewhere but don't know if I am right or not. Maybe somebody can confirm or infirm this. Thank You all anyway!

RE: Best solution

Adrian Regarding "adding material", thats where the ref dim comes in. (ref dims can also be used in relations) To manage the whole process of maping dimensions to parameters the nessesary relations already exist in the start part and we use a mapkey to select the 3 dimensions from the screen. mapkey gt1 @MAPKEY_LABELPlate;#MODIFY;#DIMCOSMETICS;#SYMBOL;\ mapkey(continued) @MANUAL_PAUSESelect to display dimensions;@PAUSE_FOR_SCREEN_PICK;\ mapkey(continued) @MANUAL_PAUSESelect dimension for Thickness;@PAUSE_FOR_SCREEN_PICK;dim1;\ mapkey(continued) @MANUAL_PAUSESelect dimension for Width;@PAUSE_FOR_SCREEN_PICK;dim2;\ mapkey(continued) @MANUAL_PAUSESelect dimension for Height;@PAUSE_FOR_SCREEN_PICK;dim3;#DONE;\ mapkey(continued) #DONE;#SET UP;#PARAMETERS;#MODIFY;#GEOM_TYPE;1;#DONE/RETURN@OBJ TYPES;#DONE;

Just as I've imagined

"Hugo Gregersen" wrote:

Adrian Regarding "adding material", thats where the ref dim comes in. (ref dims can also be used in relations) To manage the whole process of maping dimensions to parameters the nessesary relations already exist in the start part and we use a mapkey to select the 3 dimensions from the screen. mapkey gt1 @MAPKEY_LABELPlate;#MODIFY;#DIMCOSMETICS;#SYMBOL;\ mapkey(continued) @MANUAL_PAUSESelect to display dimensions;@PAUSE_FOR_SCREEN_PICK;\ mapkey(continued) @MANUAL_PAUSESelect dimension for Thickness;@PAUSE_FOR_SCREEN_PICK;dim1;\ mapkey(continued) @MANUAL_PAUSESelect dimension for Width;@PAUSE_FOR_SCREEN_PICK;dim2;\ mapkey(continued) @MANUAL_PAUSESelect dimension for Height;@PAUSE_FOR_SCREEN_PICK;dim3;#DONE;\ mapkey(continued) #DONE;#SET UP;#PARAMETERS;#MODIFY;#GEOM_TYPE;1;#DONE/RETURN@OBJ TYPES;#DONE;

Re: Detailing part list using PRO-E

Sunil,

Using Modelcheck we can calculate the bounding box dimension for any model.

--

Dhinesh

Announcements
LiveWorx Call For Papers Happening Now!