Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drafting and order of features.

Re: Drafting and order of features.

Here is a simple coring as a material saver: You could even make the wall at the screw define a centering locator and loosen the rotational lock's diametical fit.

hinge_core.JPG

Ribs would be optional at this step.

Of course, making this particular core really hosed the Rounds.

hinge_core_II.JPG

Dale Rosema wrote:

Just curious why you add the step back into the slot versus remove the material? Any adherent benefits of adding material versus taking away?

Absolutely... I am not bound by tooling and machining processes. In this case, I am simplifying the wall feature (slot) cut. When I can create a draft face with a single cut, rather than a "merging" features, I will.

I don't get to play with ribs often. Kind of nice to have a feature just work as expected

hinge_core_III.JPG

prt0076.prt.4 attached

I see now how that simplifies things. Before I saw you post about the material saver, I was extruding into the surface from the top versus doing a revolve. I like the revolved better.

With the hole with the countersink in the middle, do you typically use revoles instead of a hole feature?

Since the hole requires draft anyway, I have no aversion to making it a simple revolve. The same with the slide hole draft. I did form the thread using the hole feature so I could inherit the drill diameter from the tables.

I come from the 2000i world where all holes were essentially a revolve feature.