cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Drilling holes that are broken into each other

jeuclide
4-Participant

Drilling holes that are broken into each other

Does anyone have a tip or sequence for drilling holes in say a plate that are broken into one another? The software defaults to drill diameters which is great but when hole are instersecting each other it will only do the holes that are actually complete holes. I know you can pick axis of each hole but that will be cumbersome with lots of holes say 100-600 at times. I use this for a standard fixture style we build here if anyone was wondering why there are so many holes. I will try to attach a pic of what i seeing on my end for clarity.

Jeff

holes_broken_stripper.jpg

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:jeuclide)

Jeff,

In situations where the holes run together I will drill the holes that I can get the drill into without braking out then mill the holes that break into the drilled holes. I will either drill the holes with a endmill with a small peck depth. or circle mill them as if they were a bore again with a small step depth. Depends on the quantity and diameter. you can also helical mill them, but that requires a lot of messing around becaause the hole is not complete.

Steve

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:SteveLucas)

By the way that is a standard fixture? Wow as far as selecting the holes you are stuck with selecting axis or make a drill group and select diameters maybe that would select them all. Do you drill them with carbide drills ?

jeuclide
4-Participant
(To:SteveLucas)

We do drill with carbides. We are devopling a way to do this using 3D versus 2D it is getting complicated to say the least. After screwing around a bit i found that you can select axis from layers but might just machine them due to the fact they are just clearance holes. Any more ideas welcome. Thanks!!

Jeff

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:jeuclide)

Would it be possible to use 1 large diameter drill where the holes are clustered together to cover them all? you could create an axis on the center of like a cluster of three holes then say drill thru all on that axis and take care of it that way?

Top Tags