cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Driven Dimensions

MarcBurnett
4-Participant

Driven Dimensions

I cannot find how to control the trailing zeros of driven dimensions in the 3D model. I would like to adjust the number of digits of dimensions in accordance with my tolerance block. Since I'm trying model base definition, I need to do this in the 3D model. Any clue?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

You can adjust the number of digits by selecting the dimensions or annotion elements and RMB>Properties. As best I can tell trailing zeros are controlled by standard and is going to depend on the unit system. English units will show trailing zeros, metric units only show trailing zeros when appropriate on dimensions shown as limits.

MarcBurnett
4-Participant
(To:Kevin)

All my options are set to 3 decimal places. All my dims are also set to 3 decial places. Sadly the trailing zeros don't shows up. What I understand is that we cannot control it, is that right? I have to show tolerances seperately on each dimensions?

Not directly as far as I can tell. In part mode the display of trailing zeros seems to be controlled by the unit system used and by standard. If you are using a metric unit system (which I assume by your description of what is happening) trailing zeros only show if you show toleranced dimensions where there is an unequal tolerance. So if you have dimension values of 20 and 25.5 millimeters trailing zeros will not show because by standard trailing zeros are not used with metric dimensions even though you have set the model to three decimal places. The exception is where you show dimensions that have an unequal tolerance. So if you had a dimension of 25 millimeters with +0.1 and -0.05 tolerance values and you used three decimal places in your model your dimension would show as 25 (with no trailing zeros), +0.10 (trailing zero added), and -0.05 (with no trailing zeros) if you show it as plus-minus even though you set the model to three decimal places. If you displayed the dimension as limits you would get 25.10 (trailing zero added) and 24.95 (no trailing zeros). English units should show trailing zeros up to the number of decimal places used.

MarcBurnett
4-Participant

Since I'm using metric unit system I have now to manage tolerances of each dimensions seperately and not with a general tolerance block. It is very unfortunate. I guess WF5 is not up to date for model based definition. Thanks for your answer.

When you say not up to date for model based definition what are you refering to? You can generate models using the ASME Y14.41 standard which is what I'm assuming you are refering to. If you're refering to the trailing zeros on metric dimensions what standards, practices, or programs are you refering to that allow you to do that? I've seen examples on drawings where trailings zeros are used but they have had to ignore the rule in ASME Y14.5. From what I've seen PRO uses strict reference to the standard.

MarcBurnett
4-Participant

You're right, I just looked at the standards and in that case I shall apply rules of ASME Y14.41. I should use directly toleranced dimensions. Damn standards. Thank you very much.

Top Tags