cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Easy way to create drawing

wakeboarding77
6-Contributor

Easy way to create drawing

Is there a way to quickly create a drawing file of a part without having to manually enter the part number and description?  

Using Creo 4.0 and Windchill

8 REPLIES 8

You will have to give the drawing a filename. If you have the part active at the time the drawing is created, creo will assume that the model you have active is the model want in the drawing.

I could see the part name being pulled from the active part with a toolkit application and the drawing created.

BUT

There is no software in the world that can come up with the description of the part UNLESS someone enters it at some point in time.

Try to keep the requests realistic!!!!

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

Why wouldn't the description of the drawing be the same as the part?  We actually use a drawing program in our drawing templates that automatically maps all of the model's parameters onto the drawings parameters (and then keeps them synchronized.)

It's really too bad there's not an easy way to use copy and paste in a mapkey.  It would open up lots of options, like a simple mapkey to do this type of thing.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:TomU)

PTC_COMMON_NAME could be transferred to the drawing, but it isn't always the same for our files.

Entered at the model level or drawing level, it still needs to be entered.

What I am getting at is when I create a part, I enter part # and common name, then save.  Then to create a drawing for that part I just created, I have to  file-new-drawing and then enter the part # and common name again. Seems redundant, wastes time and can lead to errors. 

You might want to clarify, are you referring to the intial drawing creation where you give it a filename and ptc_common_name

OR

Are you referring to filing out the title block of the drawing? You can use parameters within the part to fill out the title block.

Your organization would hopefully have that stuff set up already.

We have the parameters auto fill the title block so that is not the issue.  It is the creation of the actual drawing.

What I am getting at is when I create a part, I enter part # and common name, then save.  Then to create a drawing for that part I just created, I have to  file-new-drawing and then enter the part # and common name again. Seems redundant, wastes time and can lead to errors. 

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:wakeboarding77)

Top Tags