cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Edge & Shade Quality

ptc-50033
1-Newbie

Edge & Shade Quality

Dear All,

Does anyone know if there's a part specific option or setting that affects the quality of the edge lines & shading? I have two similar sized small simple cylindrical parts (Ø8), in the same session of Pro/E, one has round edges where you'd expect them, the other part is very faceted. Changing the Edge Quality in the Model Display dialogue box makes very little difference to the one with round edges but a big improvement to the faceted part. Just wondered if anyone had come across this and if there is a setting that I’ve never come across in the last 14 yrs of using Pro/E!!!

Thanks,

Ian

WF4 M160 Win XP64

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ian...

To my knowledge, there is no such part specific setting... but I have seen the behavior you're talking about on rare occasion. First, the standard disclaimer that it could be something with your graphics card. But beyond that, I have a few additional questions:

• Are you working with any sort of piping pieces or parts? I don't necessarily mean pipe parts... but rather parts created in Pro/PIPING?
  • Are the two parts set to the same ACCURACY?

The only time I've seen this happen, the effect is caused by an accuracy issue. But, it tends to crop up sometimes in Pro/PIPING. In some rare cases, I've had pipe pieces "turn faceted" when small bits of pipe from a large assembly are regenerated. The effect is annoying but resolveable (Erase/Re-Make the pipe).

Let me know if this applies to you... I suspect not but it's worth a shot.

Thanks!

-Brian

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi Ian...

To my knowledge, there is no such part specific setting... but I have seen the behavior you're talking about on rare occasion. First, the standard disclaimer that it could be something with your graphics card. But beyond that, I have a few additional questions:

• Are you working with any sort of piping pieces or parts? I don't necessarily mean pipe parts... but rather parts created in Pro/PIPING?
  • Are the two parts set to the same ACCURACY?

The only time I've seen this happen, the effect is caused by an accuracy issue. But, it tends to crop up sometimes in Pro/PIPING. In some rare cases, I've had pipe pieces "turn faceted" when small bits of pipe from a large assembly are regenerated. The effect is annoying but resolveable (Erase/Re-Make the pipe).

Let me know if this applies to you... I suspect not but it's worth a shot.

Thanks!

-Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks, you hit the nail on the head - Part Accuracy. The round one was using Relative Accuracy & the faceted one Absolute Accuracy. Changing this to Relative gave an immediate improvement. Also changing it to a smaller absolute value improves it.

Thanks,

Ian

Excellent Ian... I'm glad we were able to resolve the issue. Have a great weekend!

-Brian

Ian

there is no direct/best way to achieve your goal. Some graphic card do have hardware antialiasing acceleration for Pro/E(Nvidia Quadro), but it is still not enough.

What does make a big change is switch to Creo 2.0 - at last PTC gave significant user control over quality of display. You can switch antialiasing settings directly in Creo 2.0, and this really makes part look a lot better.

Top Tags