cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Editiable annotations/dimensions

napier
1-Newbie

Editiable annotations/dimensions

Hello all,

I have setup a gear within creo and displayed the editable parameters as annotation. The attached picture explains this a little better. My problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to make the annotations clickable so that the values of the parameters can be changed. I want to be able to change the values of the annotated parmeters under the model tab. I have seen this done before, so I know it should be possible. I just cant seem to figure out how. Any help is much appreciated.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To do it in the part model, create an annotation note and reference your parameters with a &. See image below. When you double-click the annotation in the model, it will prompt you for the value of the parameter you double-clicked.

annotate.JPG

Edit: I should clarify that the parameters in the image above are named z_height, etc. Doing this in a drawing would be very similar.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

To do it in the part model, create an annotation note and reference your parameters with a &. See image below. When you double-click the annotation in the model, it will prompt you for the value of the parameter you double-clicked.

annotate.JPG

Edit: I should clarify that the parameters in the image above are named z_height, etc. Doing this in a drawing would be very similar.

This puts the annotation within the model, however I still can not click it to edit the parameters.

It works on my end. A few things to check:

• Do you have a filter applied in the bottom right corner of your screen? It should be set to smart.
  • What version of Creo are you running?
  • Are the parameters in your model or a subassembly or another model?
  • Does the & show up in the annotation when viewing it from the model?
  • Do you have a relation that drives and defines these parameters?
  • Are you double-clicking the value of the parameter you want to change? A small window at the top of the screen should open up, asking you to enter a new value. If you click on another word in the annotation, it won't work.

1.) No filter, it is set to smart.

2.) I am running Creo 2.0, the latest version.

3.) The parameters are all in the model.

4.) I tried doing this in a model withiout any relations and with reltations, doesn't change anything.

5.) I cannot double click the annotation note. It acts like static text, at this point I am almost thinking it may be something with the config file disabling editable annotation within the modeling enviroment.

Thanks for the replies.

Do you have a relation that explicitly defines the parameters? If the value is called out in the relation, it will be locked.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:napier)

I am having the same problem as Chris. Double clicking always opens the annotation dialog instead of the value dialog.

Eric, can you share the file you have working?

Here you go. I had to create it from scratch since I deleted the orginal. One more thing, I was wrong about the selection filter. I have to be on the annotations tab or else hold down ALT. I'm going to look through my config to see if I have anything in there that might help.

annotate2.JPG

I figured it out, I wasn't adding it as an annotation feature. I had been just leaving it as a note, therefore it would only bring up the properties box. Adding it as an annotation feature and then holding alt I can change the individual parameters. Thanks alot Eric and Antonius!

Oh good. I was wondering if I was beginning to loose the rest of my mind for a minute there. Glad it's working!

It is interesting that you can edit a assigned parameter but you cannot edit a dimension directly... I can replace &height with &PTC_DIM_NOMINAL_VAL:NID_DRV_DIM_D10 and it will edit while &d10, it will not edit.

You can use the dimension if you delete the relations. The problem in the model that I sent is that there is a section relation that you have to delete as well as part relation....not very apparent...sorry for the hidden trickery. It's never really occurred to me that if it's in a relation, it would be logical to be able to double click the dimension and directly edit the parameter regardless if it's in a relation or not. Maybe you should create a product idea for that. Frank may not like that idea though since it sounds like he locks many things down with relations...

I do like the "flat to screen" annotation better in the video in the other thread Chris started than in the model above. Easier to modify and stays on the screen all the time.

jzhang-3
3-Visitor
(To:napier)

go to model tree setting, display annotation, apply,ok, Annotation will show up on the top of model tree, then you can do what you want!

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:jzhang-3)

Just moved to Creo3, and now when I try to modify a parameter value, the value changes to text and the parameter does not change!

Is this a bug or has something changed?

Top Tags