cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Editing drawing formats within drawing?

Rhys424
1-Newbie

Editing drawing formats within drawing?

Is there a way I can modify text in my drawing format manually from within the drawing without setting up parameters? Currently i'm opening the format file to edit.

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:Rhys424)

I think the answer is no - formats seem intended to behave exactly like pre-printed formats to ensure that they are not edited, accidentally or on purpose, within the scope of the drawing.

Embedding parameter references in templates is the way to allow variable information into otherwise fixed documents because the reference to the parameter is built in - I believe those parameter references are copied from the format to the drawing, allowing them to be replaced or deleted.

Perhaps you would be better off with drawing templates - these are prototype drawings that have drawing elements already on them and can have a format as a background element.

http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/#page/detail%2FAbout_Drawing_Templates.html%23

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Rhys424)

Yes, but the text must be contained in tables on the format.  When a format is applied to a drawing the tables get copied to the drawing.  Once the tables are in the drawing, anything in them is editable.  Just realize that if you reapply the format (same format or a different one), the tables may be deleted and recreated (depending on your selection) causing the loss of any manual edits you have made.  (Hence the benefit of parameters.)

Top Tags