cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Extruded Thin Ribs

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Extruded Thin Ribs

Creo 2, M040

I swear I remember seeing that there was an enhancement in WF5 or maybe Creo 1 to allow you to sketch a series of lines, multiple open sections, and extrude that as a thin feature.  They showed it creating a network of ribs in a plastic part.

I’m trying to do this in an internal sketch (a simple T) in an extruded thin and Creo 2 is giving me the same old ‘ multiple loops must be closed’ error.  I tried again with an external sketch and got ‘Intersecting entities encountered in the section’ and Creo refused to use the sketch.

Am I dreaming about these extruded ribs?  If not, how do I do this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Do you need to create the new feature - Trajectory Ribs

You can find other video tutorials here: http://learningexchange.ptc.com/tutorials/by_product/product_id:1

Regards,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:dgschaefer)

I remember that at a SW users group meeting recently, but not on Pro/Creo.

Do you need to create the new feature - Trajectory Ribs

You can find other video tutorials here: http://learningexchange.ptc.com/tutorials/by_product/product_id:1

Regards,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

That's it, but it seems limited in that ribs cannot terminate at an open edge of the part.  In my case there is no side wall and the feature fails.

Capture.JPG

--
LinkedIn

Hi Doug,

... yes it is true - do you need to create side walls for Trajectory Rib feature.

For your example, you can create closted shell and then you can use Solidify feature (create cut by plane/surface)

Regards,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

You could use a normal profile rib for the open ended section and then use trajectory rib for the rest. Trajectory rib has some very, very nice features. It may be asking a bit much for the feature to know where you want it to end automatically but it's fantastic for most internal rib applications.

there is an option in draft tool.."extend intesect surfaces"....may be this option can be put in the trajectory rib tool as an enhancement request!

After playing with this tool I find it quite useful, but rather specific in application.

The open end points of your sketch have no bearing on the end of your ribs.  Proe / Creo is going to extend or trim them at the side wall of the part.  So, a 1” long line inside a 10” wide part produces a rib across the full 10”.  Conversely, a 10” long line over a 1” long part produces a rib only inside the 1”.

That explains why my sketch above wouldn’t work.

--
LinkedIn

Thanks for sharing.

Vote for new IDEA - Trajectory Rib feature for open geometry

Regards,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy
Top Tags