cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Extruded profiles best practices?

Cygnus_A
4-Participant

Extruded profiles best practices?

I am looking to make a large structure from 80/20 extrusions. What is the best way to manage the various lengths of components? Ideally I would like 1 flexible part with the profile where I can drop it in to the assembly and set the length on the fly. I believe this will cause a problem when it comes time to produce a drawing BOM. I need the BOM to generate unique part numbers and descriptions, and I am not sure I can do that with this method or with family tables. 

I am extremely new to family tables in Creo. My background is in Catia and Solidowrks. 

Example BOM would be:

# QTY PART # DESCRIPTION
1 20 PROFILE_A-24 80/20 PROFILE A, 24 INCH LENGTH
2 6 PROFILE_A-48 80/20 PROFILE A, 48 INCH LENGTH
3 18 PROFILE_B-12 80/20 PROFILE B, 12 INCH LENGTH

What is the best approach here?

6 REPLIES 6
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:Cygnus_A)

Are you going to be working with a value added re-seller or distributor?

Most companies don't work directly with 80/20. In our case we just send a STP file to our re-seller and then they create the BOM in their system using our profile types and lengths.

If you don't want to do that then you will need to create parameters which you can pull into your repeat region to create a BOM in the format you are looking for. You could do family tables, but since the cross section geometry is fixed and the only thing you can vary is the length its probably easier to create a template part and then just duplicate that part (save as) every time you want a new one.

I've done a lot of 80/20 stuff and with the profiles I've used a family table to define the lengths. I'll define the profile, and extrude it to a length. I rename the length to something like "length" or "lenBeam", etc. The family table lists all the lengths I want for each instance, determined by the needs of my assembly.

To define the text that appears in the bill of materials, let's call it "textBOM", I use relations to put the beam length into the description as follows:

textBOM = "80/20 BEAM, 4040 PROFILE, "
IF lenBeam < 1.000
  textBOM = textBOM + "0."
ELSE
  textBOM = textBOM + ITOS ( floor ( lenBeam ) ) + "."
ENDIF
textBOM = textBOM + EXTRACT ( ITOS ( 1000 * ( 1 + lenBeam - floor ( lenBeam ) ) ), 2, 3 )
textBOM = textBOM + " LONG"

This way when I slightly change the length of a beam as the design rambles along, its description is automatically updated. Plus, when you're estimating the cost of the structure, beams a priced on a per-unit-length basis so calculating a beam's cost is easy.

Cygnus_A
4-Participant
(To:KenFarley)

Thanks for the thorough explanation. I will give this a shot.

Take a look at the Advanced Framework Extension, or AFX.  A "lite" version is included with each license, although you need to set the config option "afx_enabled yes".  You also may need to re-run setup to install the database.

I believe that it has 80/20 profiles included and it will manage the various lengths and create a BOM and cut lengths automatically.  I've used it for  simpler, space frame type structures and have not used the BOM functionality, but it seems pretty slick.  There are a few tutorials available.

The "Lite" version is fully functional, but limited by how large an assy you can create.  20 profiles, I believe.  With some creativity, you can get around that by using smaller sub assys, etc.  If you're doing a lot, it's probably worth the extra license.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Kevin
10-Marble

You can set parameters for Part # and Description to be flexible as well. Whit these parameters added to your repeat region they will show as different items.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

We build our 80/20 parts in family tables so we know which length is its assigned part number. We also build the description from the parameters so we get the length in it.

Top Tags