cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Family Tables Instance versions

jhall2
6-Contributor

Family Tables Instance versions

I work at a company who is switching to a CAD driven Windchill (ours is 10.2).  We have tons of legacy Windchill part numbers that were created with an AutoCAD drawing and never had a Creo model.  Over the years, the versions of some related objects have drifted apart.  For example Shaft 1 is at G and Shaft 2 is at H.   We try our best to align the CAD model version and the Windchill part version to reduce confusion among our designers.  

This works fine except with Family Tables.  Is it possible for instances to have different versions in Family Tables or is that something that just can't be done? 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jhall2)

You can revise a part to up its revision to match the WTpart.

I do agree that the CAD part and the WTpart should be at the same version level.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Does this thread help? It looks like they are talking about the same thing - revision levels and family tables:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Modeling-Questions/Family-Table-Revision-Control-Issue/m-p/267023

jhall2
6-Contributor
(To:Dale_Rosema)

Thanks it helped a little, but didn't answer the question (or at least that I could tell) of  "Can instances have different versions"?  

I'm thinking it's a no because they are all one file/part.  But want to get some support for that idea.

It sure looks like Family Tables are going to be something we have to be very careful of.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Simple answer, yes they can have different versions. Each file is independent in the database, but contained within a single part/assembly file on disk. As you add new instances, they can either be done at the same revison or you are reviving the the generic to add a new instance. In my case, I only use fmaily tables for standard hardware items, nuts, screws, washers, etc., so I never release the family table and always keep it at version A. If you release and revise the family table, new instances will be at version A, but the generic may be at version K. The only time this can get you into trouble is if you have a drawing for that part and your drawing version matchs the generic part version. Unless you carry a version column for every part on the drawing, they should technically be at the same version.

jhall2
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

Thanks Ben,

That's pretty much the answer.  One last question though.  What if a new Family Table is created for old WTParts at different versions.  Can your admin edit the version to fit the part if you wanted to?

Thanks for all the help.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

You can revise a part to up its revision to match the WTpart.

I do agree that the CAD part and the WTpart should be at the same version level.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Is it possible for instances to have different versions in Family Tables or is that something that just can't be done? 

Yes, there is no problem with the instances being at different versions from each other and the generic.  Windchill treats the generic and all of the instances as separate objects.

The only caveat is that it is not possible to use (or have in your workspace) different versions of the generic simultaneously.

Top Tags