cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Tables and Threaded Holes

Highlighted
Participant

Family Tables and Threaded Holes

Is it possible to vary a tapped hole size in a family table?

I have a family table of a hub where the key size varies by F.T. instance.  A tapped hole for a set screw over the key also varies based on key size. 

Kimble_27Jun.png

If I define a standard tapped hole, is it possible to change the thread in the family table?  (i.e. if the Generic has a 1/4-20 thread, can I have an instance with a 3/8-16 thread?)

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Family Tables and Threaded Holes

Yes, but it adds complexity to the table.

You need to have all of the tapped holes added to the generic and then add the features to the table and turn them on and off depending on which size you want in that generic.

Probably could do a more automated method with Pro/Program, too.

Pretty much as was said in the previous answer.

Hole tables are not the same as family tables, though you would think that they should be. Therefore it isn't possible to swap out like features and components do in FT.  If you have 2 hole options then you need to model the two hole sizes in as 2 features and suppress the one that you don't want in the family table of the part. Make sure that you don't use the reference for the first hole as that for the second or they will both disappear when you suppress the first one.

Hope this helps.

Just a thought I had, no idea if it would work.

What if you made a UDF of the threaded hole, then varied the UDF with the family table?

It would be a bit of work to set up but it might work.

You could take your UDF idea a little further and create a UDF Family Table of your hub, key, tapped hole, everything.