cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Family table instance

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Family table instance

Hi all,

i was wondering if there is a quick way of making a family table instance a stand alone model, not depentant on the generic from which it was created.

Regards

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Hello.
If I understand you need to create independent model from instance model?

It's easy - just Open instance model and then click the command: File > Save a Copy ... and set New name.

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Hi Vladimir,

i realized after my first post, that perhaps i could do as you describe, but there is more to this than i first explained. The family table instance has a drawing & an assembly associated with it. If i save a copy, yes i get an independant model, but i am forced to give it a new name. I just want to trick pro-e into believing that there was never a family table in the first place, that the generic model & instance were 2 separate models, & that the assembly & drawing containing the instance model can still regenerate.

Regards

John

Answer on your question: I just want to trick pro-e into believing that there was never a family table in the first place, that the generic model & instance were 2 separate models, & that the assembly & drawing containing the instance model can still regenerate? - If I know - this is not possible.

NOTE:

If your model is referenced in drawing as family table model (instance model) - it is not possible change this dependences on source model. Drawing model is referenced on family_table_model<generic_model>.

If model is used in assembly as family table model (instance model) - you can replace this model by new model (with new name) - click on model and select: Edit > Replace... > By Copy (system create a new model independent on source model - independent on family table model).

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy
linda
5-Regular Member
(To:John.Pryal)

like i always do in the similar sinario. copy the generic to other folder for later use

open the assembly and the 2d drawing, and replace the instance in the 2d and assemby with the generic one, and than open the generic and choose edit and copy the instance to generic.

now the assembly and the 2d are using the independent instance.

it is what you want?

Open the instance in memory (along with the drawing if needed), go to the generic, delete the instance from the table, save the generic and erase not displayed with the instance and drawing still open. This should make it standalone.

However, if this is in Windchill it may cause you many issues down the road.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:John.Pryal)

I recently opened an instance of a family table, I'd made and simply did a "Save a Copy" in Pro/E, and it worked just fine.

Top Tags