cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Feature naming in model tree - Symbols & Alt Charcs

KrisR
1-Newbie

Feature naming in model tree - Symbols & Alt Charcs

3.png

See the lil diameter symbol in the feature name? I used to be able to do this, and now I cannot. Whenever I go to type the alt+ characters, it will not accept them and boots me out of editing the feature.

Anyone know how I can get this functionalty back? I miss it!

Thanks so much!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KrisR
1-Newbie
(To:KrisR)

I found out what has caused this issue.

When adding a toolbar button for "Window->List of open windows" it then causes the issue of not being able to create symbols in the feature tree.

See image below:

1.png

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Hi Kris,

i put in such symbols using the windows character map, to be found in programs, accessories, system tools, character map, simply select, then copy. Then back to pro-e, click on the feature to be renamed, right click, rename, then right click again & paste in your selected symbol. Hope this helps.

Regards

John

It won't even let me copy and paste them. I don't know what happened.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Here's an old text file we used to have to use (before the pop-up) for symbols. It's the text strings for everything. I've never actually tried to rename anything with symbols. Interesting.

{0:PRO/E SYMBOLS}

{1: }

{2:STATISTICAL: }

{3:STRAIGHTNESS: ! }

{4:TOTAL RUNOUT: " }

{5:PLUS/MINUS: # }

{6:DEGREES: $ }

{7:LEAST MAT'L CONDT'N: % }

{8:OHM (OMEGA): ^ }

{9:W: ` }

{10:ANGULARITY: a }

{11:L/R ARROWS: b }

{12:FLATNESS: c }

{13:PROFILE/SURFACE: d }

{14:CIRCULARITY: e }

{15:PARALLELISM: f }

{16:CYLINDRICITY: g }

{17:CIRCULAR RUNOUT: h }

{18:SYMMETRY: i }

{19:POSITIONAL: j }

{20:PROFILE/LINE: k }

{21:PERPENDICULARITY: l }

{22:MAX MAT'L CONDT'N: m }

{23:DIAMETER: n }

{24:SQUARE: o }

{25:PROJECTED ZONE: p }

{26:CENTERLINE: q }

{27:CONCENTRICITY: r }

{28:REGARDLESS FEAT'R SIZE: s }

{29:TANGENT PLANE: t }

{30:FREE STATE: u }

{31:COUNTERBORE: v }

{32:COUNTERSINK: w }

{33:DEPTH: x }

{34:CONICAL: y }

{35:ANGULAR: z }

If you could Frank, try to name a feature using an alt symbol - alt+0216 would be diameter. I just want to see if it's working with someone else. I know it used to work for me but since doing the PrecisionLMS learning, it's broken.

These symbols don't seem to work for renaming in the tree.

I'm really picky about naming the features in the tree......

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

I tried your method of using alt+0216 and it worked for me. I'm using Creo/Pro 5.0 by the way. I searched in the config options, but could not think of a keyword that returned an applicable option for using ALT characters.

!!! You've helped solve a problem that other users have complained about. Many of us want to insert spaces in our text and ALT+255 provides a space for doing that. So far, I've only tried it out on features in the model tree.

spaces in feature names.PNG

I'll post a new discussion later to share this.

OOOooooooo! That's wicked cool Kevin! Now if only mine wasn't broken.

Kevin,

What datecode are you using?

*lightbulb*

I was able to use the symbols in M080- I've since been upgraded to M130. PrecisionLMS and upgrade happened around the same time. I'm thinking that may be the issue.

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

I'm on M080, hmmm.

Ha ha...by the way, I noticed, in a recent discussion, that you were one of the users voicing a complaint about using spaces in Pro-e and I even responded to it. Its the one that we spoke about UNIX and DOS.

I remember!

I'm going to log a case about this with PTC. It must be an M130 bug. I'm not holding my breath about it getting fixed.

*sigh*

.....you know you're an Olde Pro/E user when you name all your windows-type files with underscores instead of spaces.......

I couldn't get it to work...but then I'm choosing to stay on WF4. Also, what's the exact syntax? Sounds like it's more work that just using a "_". Why would you want a space in a feature name? I can see a diameter symbol....maybe.......but then if you change the size, you'd want to rename the feature, right?

KrisR
1-Newbie

It was a corrupt config.win file that was causing this. I deleted it and put back the settings that I lost and I can again create symbols. Should I find more config.win options I missed, and should the application of them cause this to occur, I will post back in case anyone else has this issue.

DOVANLE
1-Newbie

This is awesome Gents.

I did not know I can do that, Now I know atl+0216 and atl+255. But where can I find the rest of the "code"

Thanks.

DV

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member
(To:DOVANLE)

To find more code, do an internet search for "alt code".

Disclaimer: We don't know if these alt codes have been tested. If an alt code is used will Pro-e/Creo, somewhere down the line when doing it's data crunching, reject the text?

KrisR
1-Newbie

I found out what has caused this issue.

When adding a toolbar button for "Window->List of open windows" it then causes the issue of not being able to create symbols in the feature tree.

See image below:

1.png

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

Kris,

I'm gaining good tips from you! I hadn't noticed the Window->List of open windows options before. I like having the open windows as buttons on the toolbar, but I may change my mind later when I have 10 files open and run out of space.

I see what you mean about special symbols using the Alt code not working. When the open windows buttons are available in a toolbar, you can switch between them by pressing Alt+1, 2, etc., which is a helpful shortcut in itself, but prevents one from applying Alt code.

Which would you rather have, special characters and spacing in filenames or a quick way to switch between open windows?

Weeellllll.....

I'm selfish and want both!

Seriously though, we can't change the alt codes so I would think the toggling between windows should be moved to the ctrl button, or another button. Tab usually controls windows in other apps. Maybe tab?

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

Kris Rowlands wrote:

I would think the toggling between windows should be moved to the ctrl button, or another button. Tab usually controls windows in other apps. Maybe tab?

Agreed, CTRL+Tab is something that I appreciate in programs for switching between widows. Present it as an "IDEA" in the Creo forum, eh?

Top Tags