cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Fill in the void

cying
10-Marble

Fill in the void

Is there a way I can create a feature using the voids in this model? I have an user who wants to fill the voids with wax/water to do some simulation.

I tried using the cutout from the merge, not surprisingly it failed. This may work with a simple model but not one with many details.

[cid:image001.png@01CF7F0F.3E162770]

Calvin Ying

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Calvin,

I am not aware of just one feature to do this, but you can copy the
surfaces of all the parts that form a closed volume and merge them and
then solidify if also desired. This might take numerous features and I
would recommend that especially with all the detailed features in all
the parts. I am also not sure what you are meaning by filling with water or wax so not sure the final desired intent, but if I did this I would
copy the surfaces into an empty part in the assembly to then do the
merging and solidifying in the part to make it easier to see and handle
all the copied surfaces from other parts.

Good Luck,

Mark A. Peterson
Design Engineer
Varel -

davehaigh
11-Garnet
(To:cying)

Are you just looking for a volume?

If so, you might be able to get the information you want using mass properties. If you can copy all the inner surfaces of the case and create a solid of it, then you can find it's volume. Subtracting the volume of the inner assembly should give you the void volume.

David Haigh
JoseResendis
6-Contributor

Calvin,

Attached is an old procedure for generating a void part.

(See attached file: modelling_a_void.doc)

Best Regards,
Jose

cying
10-Marble

The user want to fill in the void then assign either water or wax properties to it in order to do some simulation. IMHO, this should be done using the analysis tool.

I was hoping for an easy solution.

Tried two options:

1) I select INSERT -> SHARED DATA -> MERGE/INHERITANCE -> assemble the component and select CUTOUT.
This will work on a simple part, but not with too many details.

2) Select the surfaces and then solidify. However, in order to solidify the surfaces they must be closed. This would be a lot of work to FILL and MERGE.

I think the best method is for the user to massage the original data so that it'll be represented by blocks vs details.

Thanks to all who replied 🙂

Calvin

dgallup
4-Participant

I have had this work with very complex models. The key is to match the part accuracy. Make sure all the parts are in absolute accuracy and set to a very small value.

In Reply to Calvin Ying:

Is there a way I can create a feature using the voids in this model? I have an user who wants to fill the voids with wax/water to do some simulation.

I tried using the cutout from the merge, not surprisingly it failed. This may work with a simple model but not one with many details.

[cid:image001.png@01CF7F0F.3E162770]

Calvin Ying
Top Tags