cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Fill text

rubenvillarreal
13-Aquamarine

Fill text

I was writing a kind of sticker over a part. But no matter the font, I couldn't fill the text with any color. I tried even importing fonts, but nothing works!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ruben,

you can investigate my steps.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

try cosmetic sketch.

solid fill is available in detailing only.

Ruben,

you can create solid/surface feature using a section containing text. Then you can assign color to the surface area corresponding to text.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Martin,

Thanks, but the problem is that the text is projected in a curve surface, then I can't extrude it. I tried converting it in a curve feature, but is the same thing.Untitled.jpg

Ruben,

I guess you can

1. make a surface ofset from the target surface
  2. make extruded surface from text section which intersect the surface created in step 1.
  3. merge surfaces created in step 1. and step 2. and select the appropriate part of geometry to get surface representing the text
  4. assign color to surface created in step 3.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Martin,

It works, but the result was not the desire because the extrude feature only works for planar sections, when I tried to merge the surfaces the result was catastrophic! The reason is because the curve of the text comes from a curve formed by a Sweep Blend feature, and even with a little planar section it doesn't match right with the extrude. In other words, my sticker has to have like 15mm of thickness to be visible, so that would be a problem with the sticker shop )

Thanks anyway.

Ruben,

it is little bit difficult to understand your situation (for me ).

I have created simple model. You can investigate it.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Martin,

It's difficult for me too to understand your answer, I'm a new user and even worst, the academic version that I'm running, doesn't allow me to open that file. Hahahaha .

Ruben,

there two license types used by students:

• Academic license ... available on PCs at university lab
  • Student license ... intended for use on student's home PC

Creo session using Academic license is able to open files created in Creo session using Commercial license ! Do you have an access to Creo at university lab ?

Upload your file if you can, I'll take look at it.

To be able to upload a file, you have to click Use advanced editor link (top right corner of Reply window), then click Attach link (bottom right corner), browse a file and at the end click Add Reply button at the bottom of the web page.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Martin,

Unfortunately in my country there is no such thing. I'm studying this by myself using only the Student License.

I attached the file, but I'm afraid of this message:

New objects created with this educational version of Creo Parametric will not be

compatible with commercially licensed Creo Parametric software.

In case it doesn't work, I just did a Swept Blend feature using a curve trajectory and two square sections. Untitled.jpg

Thanks again.

Ruben,

you can investigate my steps.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Thanks for all your patience! I really appreciate that.

Look the final result.

Bike Frame.jpgBike.jpg

this issue has been discussed at the technical committee meeting and it did receive a positive response by the developers,and think it will be addressed.

Rohit,

I hope the same thing, I tried these other methods and I didn't have the desire result.

Thanks!

Why not use a decal?

If you must have it in geometry, you can project onto the surface... project back to a plane to account for distortion... and project that as an extrude to cut the face but keep both sides. Now you have surfaces/quilts with the text cut out, and you have the text surface. That should allow you to manage appearance separately.

Antonius,

I tried, but the projection of the curve (the one on the surface) fails when I tried to projected back to a plane, or even on a offset surface!

Thanks anyway.

It is not a magic bullet, I agree, but persistence will get you what you want. Most times, it simply isn't easy.

So what about a simple decal? Decals can use transparency and you can manipulate the decal where you want it. You can even place a decal over another texture appearance.

In general, what you are doing is fairly straight forward. Again, it takes a bit of persistence and a good understanding of the limitations. ...each of which have work-arounds.

wrappedtextii.PNG

Of course is a decal! But Creo doesn't have that option!

But is too representative, it's about a bike. I rather bikes without decals (in fact, I take out all the decals of my bike, the P.Street is better without it)

Thanks for the help!

Oh, but Creo -does- have decals as an option

It is a rendering option.

Hahahaha you should say that before. I can't see that option. Where is it?

Use a cosmetic sketch. In the Sketch Setup dialog, go to the Properties tab, and you can set the cross-hatching to be small enough that it looks filled.

Snap04.png

rubenvillarreal
13-Aquamarine
(To:JLG)

JLG,

I used a cosmetic sketch, and it works. But! as you can see the surface is not planar, when I tried to project the sketch over the curve surface, the XHatching fails, only the boundary lines are projected.

Thanks anyway.

If it's just for 3D rendering, offset the quilt you'll project onto by .002 or so. Change the surface color, then use the curve to trim. If it's for a dwg, then you'll have to make the curve has hatching, and then in the dwg, set the hatching so it looks solid. I would avoid using cosmetics (except for threads), they don't work as well as curves. I never use them. You can reference them or use them for anything else, and they show through the part, unlike curves.

Frank,

It's for 3D rendering. I tried your option and the curve doesn't project over the offset quilt, it projects incorrectly, so I can't trim it. On the other side, I tried to trim it using only one surface (this time the surface was projected correctly) and it works, but only for that surface, and even when it works, I have to repeat the same process 2 times for each letter (including the surface offset) all because Creo doesn't allow me trim the surface multiple chains. There are several curves and surfaces, so I couldn't fill the text.

Thanks anyway.

Um... I did Twice!

It is a rendering feature. You have textures for overall appearance; you have bumps for roughness; and you have decals for transparent fields with only specific visible information.

If you create a transparent .PNG in Photoshop elements, for instance, you can import that into the Creo image editor (rendering). You save that as a .TX4 image. You can then create an appearance using the appearance manager. It is under the second tab to access the image plastering UI.

Once you created the appearance with the texture and applied it, you can manipulate how it is applied (eye dropper and the grayed out green dot becomes available). Now you can scale, move and rotate to your heart's content.

I did it! But I had undesirables results. Problems with this:

Once you created the appearance with the texture and applied it, you can manipulate how it is applied (eye dropper and the grayed out green dot becomes available). Now you can scale, move and rotate to your heart's content.

Where is that? The eye dropper and the grayed out green dot thing.. Because, if is the one that is next to the eraser in the decal options, for some reason it doesn't become available even using .tx4 format.

What version are you running?

On Creo 2.0: Edit model appearance; select the appearance sphere you are adjusting; eye dropper upper right corner (no eraser); and select a surface the appearance is applied to. Gray dot becomes green for editing.

A little tricky but works as well as the text.

Thanks!

Top Tags