cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Finding volume of complex part cavity?

erine
12-Amethyst

Finding volume of complex part cavity?

I attached a dummy .prt in a zip file.  Pink edge is assumed inside edge where cap rests.

How would i find the volume of this complex part cavity?

Creo 4.0 / M060
3 REPLIES 3
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:erine)

@erine wrote:

I attached a dummy .prt in a zip file.  Pink edge is assumed inside edge where cap rests.

How would i find the volume of this complex part cavity?

One method is to:

1. Create a seed and bound quilt of the inside surfaces
  2. create a "capping" surface by using the edge loop at the top
  3. merge the surfaces created in step 1 and 2 to create a closed quilt
  4. analysis measure volume of the merged closed quilt
John.Pryal
12-Amethyst
(To:erine)

Hi, surely you have everything you need right there in your model without creating any extra geometry. Drag the inserter arrow up to extrude 1, check the volume (i make it 24333009mm3) drag the inserter back down again below extrude 3. Again check the volume (i make it 6331455mm3). Take one figure from the other, leaves the volume of the space within. Simple, or am i missing something?

Regards

John

I was going for the assembly merge thing but I like this one better, not having looked at the shape.

Just to cover all basis...

If you assemble a "blank" (read: billet) into an assembly with the volume container part, you can Merge (Boolean subtract) from the assembly.  The only caveat is that you have to trim away any volume -outside- your container.

To do this, you assemble a bulk solid and your container part.  Adjust your container so that the fill level is level with the top of your bulk solid part.

Now Activate the bulk solid part.  You now have access to Boolean functions in the model tab and Get Data drop-down.

Top Tags