cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Force and stress on pipe

ErikClacey
12-Amethyst

Force and stress on pipe

Hi,

I have a titanium pipe of 6.35mm /1/4 inch) diameter with a wall thickness of 0.8mm. I want to place a 2 mm thick "collar" 10mm from the end of the pipe that will apply a compressive force to the pipe such that it remains on the pipe. The collar has the same outer diameter but can be reduced in diameter by 1mm. How do I do about applying this uniform inward (to the central axis) force? I want to determine the stress in the tube and see how much it will deform and the stresses in that region. I use Creo Simulate

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Erik, I see you're in Sweden, but I stick to english for the sake of other forum members.

I'm not 100% sure I understand your problem correctly. This sounds like a problem that can be run using 2D axisymmetry. Steven Dunker's solution works if you know the force. If it is a shrink fit, then the force might not be known. In that case you can do a contact analysis. If you have the advanced  version of Creo Simulate, then you can also run the contact analysis in 2D and also include plastic deformatiions. 2D analysis is helpful when running nonlinear problems such as contact/plasticity, analyses that otherwise become very time consuming.

Thank you for your help. I'll try this next. Yes, it is a shrink fit. I've asked my supplier for the force information but I'll try this as well.

Thanks again. I got it working in 2d axisymmetry and so much quicker. Really good advice.

Top Tags