cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Free moving string? Like a rope?

ptc-5188141
1-Newbie

Free moving string? Like a rope?

Is it possible to create a string in pro/e creo? I'm thinking the only alternative would be a chain...but wouldn't produce the same results as the model I am trying to create.

When I searched for it all that was returned were all programming strings, not the physical string.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

What level of detail do you want? The easy way it to sweep a circle on a guide and map a nice "string-like" texture on it. If you want the 3D texture of a string twisted in the model, you can also use Sweep but use variable section sweep to get a twist to is. If you want a "woven" string, again, VSS but mesh a second sweep in the opposite direction. How much horsepower do you have in your computer?

BTW, with a little reading, you can also get a applied texture to have "roughness" using the renderer. That is the bump when you create a material with a texture. It takes some knowhow and work to have it come out close to real.

Why? As Antonius said, you can create a string geometrically correct, but it'll be a tremendous challenge and chunk of time doing it. You'll have many levels of VSS's, IF it regenerates at all. Fudge it if you can.

SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:ptc-5188141)

What do you mean by "free moving"?

Do you want that the string moves when dragging a component it is attached to?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:SylvainA.)

Sort of like a "free range" chicken - not caged. - Sorry a little punchy this morning.

Doh!

I guess the correct term would be a soft body. But I've only seen that done in other programs like blender. All I need is a wave to be able to travel down the string.

It seems like a feature that should be merged into creo. Of course rendering would be painful. Lol.

I disagree. There's no need for that in a strictly CAD program. What you're looking for is in an animation package like Maya, or Alias/Wavefront etc.

If you have a need aside from one project, Rhino3d is inexpensive and a great tool by itself to have in your arsenal of tools. http://www.rhino3d.com/

They have an animation plugin with IK and it's really easy to use. http://www.bongo3d.com/index.htm

Another plugin for Rhino that has some animation tools and much much more (this plugin is almost a reason to buy Rhino alone) http://www.grasshopper3d.com/

Top Tags