cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

GD&T or Annotation Creation

jbrehmer
4-Participant

GD&T or Annotation Creation

Hello everyone!

Just some really quick questions about creating GD&T on the 3D geometry, what's the best route?

I recently had to dive into making GD&T in Creo on geometry, but there seems to be a few ways to do it. Pretty standard in many CAD systems, but is there a correct or best way? For now, I'm using the Annotation Feature dialog to create all of the GD&T features I need. This way, I can add new datums/datum targets, all feature control frames;  and link them all to the correct features.

Additionally, when I'm finished creating my GD&T, it doesn't seem like I can edit once I leave the dialog. It will create a new node in the tree. Is there a way to edit the GD&T or edit their linked features?

Thanks,

Jason

6 REPLIES 6
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:jbrehmer)

In the model tree, If you expand the annotation feature and then you can right click on the GD&T you want to edit, click properties.

I'm

Kevin
10-Marble

W‌hen editing selecting the appropriate filter for entity selection may be needed or helpful.

jbrehmer
4-Participant

Thanks for your responses, Stephen and Kevin. We have worked through some of the questions ourselves in Creo 3.0 and using Annotations.

I have noticed that anything on Integrated GD&T or Annotation in the forums is pretty scarce; however, I may be in the wrong place, forum or group. Is there a group for users who are using Annotations in Creo?

Creo or PTC seem to be ahead of other CAD systems for importing STEP 242, which will bring integrated GD&T from other CAD systems into Creo. Does anybody now about this?

Thanks,

Jason

Kevin
10-Marble

‌It's been a while since I've had to create one but part of the problem I remember people having is what to specify as the attachment references. One that people seem to have problems with is where the datum is shown attached to a cylindrical surface or attached to a reference frame. These end up being a two step process of specifying the datum and then specifying how it should be attached. There do appear to be some instances of display that are acceptable in the standards but are not supported in Creo. Datum targets have changed, working on getting use to those steps.

It may also help to know what steps you and your group are trying to figure out or want some with and if you have any examples you would like to see applied.

jbrehmer
4-Participant
(To:Kevin)

Thanks, Kevin. We haven't had much problem creating datums or DRFs, but wanted to make sure that using Create Annotation to create either dimension or feature control frames, then adding Surfaces that would define the features in a drawing (4+ holes, etc.).Annotation Dialog.png

We did find out about certain standards not being supported, but we do know the work-around for that as well.

Other than what's shown in the dialog, we also use Datum Target creation, similar to the above image.

~Jason

Kevin
10-Marble

Either way gives the same results for me. The differences I see are how the annotations are displayed in the model tree, how the reference selections are shown, and how the the tolerance is edited. You can covert GTOL created using the Geometric Tolerance icon to an Annotation Feature by RMB menu and selecting Create Annotation Feature. An annotation feature will display a text box to modify the tolerance value but one that was created with the Geometric Tolerance icon needs to be changed from the Tol Value tab of the geometric tolerance dialog box. For me it opens up to the tab when i double click on the FCF. Datum targets are a two step process: 1) create set datum tag and its reference and 2) target points or areas which get a set datum tag along with a number and the area dimensions if required.

Top Tags