cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Getting coordinates for points on surfaces

goldstar971
2-Guest

Getting coordinates for points on surfaces

Was it the easiest way for getting the xyz coordinates of a random point on a model?  I know how to get them from a vertice, but I haven't been able to find away to get it to work for say, the center of a curve or a face.

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

I guess you have to create datum point (at specific position - center of a curve or a face) and get its coordinates.

Martin Hanák

You may wanna try exporting the model in iges format with only datum curves and points. Once exported change the exported file extension as pts (.iges to .pts). This will convert file in point data.

Import this pts file in new part using Point > Offset coordinate system > Select part coordinate system > import pts file.

dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:goldstar971)

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose for wanting the information for random points? Inspections points? Trying to create a rough point cloud? Trying to determine the surface normal at random points?

You may want to look up "field points" and how they can be used. They might be helpful depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

Regards,

Dan N.

dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:goldstar971)

Article - CS156615

Example for using External Analysis feature to capture numerical values from a field point measurement in Creo 2.0

Regards,

Dan N.

The easiest, most diect way I can think of to extract coordinates of a randomly selected point on a surface is to use the Geometry Report > Point tool.  Just click on a surface and it tells you the coordinates of where you clicked as well as the surface normal and curvature.

If you save that Point analysis as a feature Creo will create parameters of those values.  It will also create a coordinate system at the point which would contain the actual coordinates.

Top Tags