cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP Modelling base with curvature. Extrude to shape?

SOLVED
Highlighted

HELP Modelling base with curvature. Extrude to shape?

1. I am wondering if anyone can advise how to create a shape similar to this. It seems to be an extrusion up to another shape but I am not sure how

2. Also I accidently seemed to mess something up in the model tab as I now can not delete them from there.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: HELP Modelling base with curvature. Extrude to shape?

I have to reitterate this comment. I mis-understood the R313 and R17 callouts. This is a fairly straight forward extrude but it is missing the draft requirement.

I created a R170 hemisphere and extruded the triangular shape with the remove "remove material" and flipped the removed material to the outside.

I don't know what the triangular shape is from the limited details provided.

SphericalBase.PNG

50 REPLIES 50

The part was created with a spherical feature as a primary feature and the rest was added and removed.

Or another way, draw the triangle shape first, and then revolve cut the sphere shape into the top.

OR draw the triangle shape first and then revolve a surface for the sphere and replace the top surface with the sphere surface. but that's kind of a few extra steps.

Thanks for replying.

Sorry but I dont exactly understand what you mean.

I started by making a triangle shape then added the rounds at each vertex. I thought from the R313 that I would need to place a large circle so that I could create a remove material extrusion. However it isnt that straightforward as this the height of the vetices are lower than the middle. My thought was I would have to make a r313 extrusion upwards from the bottom to the shape of another circle/arc.

Thanks for your help.
Screen+Shot+2013-09-30+at+6.23.30+PM.png

Screen+Shot+2013-09-30+at+6.23.17+PM.png

I have to reitterate this comment. I mis-understood the R313 and R17 callouts. This is a fairly straight forward extrude but it is missing the draft requirement.

I created a R170 hemisphere and extruded the triangular shape with the remove "remove material" and flipped the removed material to the outside.

I don't know what the triangular shape is from the limited details provided.

SphericalBase.PNG

Wow that looks about right. Thanks for all your help so far Antonius!

So you created the hemisphere, drew a triangle shape-extruded and removed the unnecessary material?

also how do I do the hemisphere? I am pretty new to Creo and running it on mac so its a lot of messing about.

Cheers

P.S. I've attached a more detailed image incase that helps at all.

The 1st feature is a solid revolve of a R170 hemisphere (180 degree rotation)

The second feature is the "triangle" shape and is in fact a cut that removed everything -outside- the closed section.

The third feature is a simply round along that top edge.

A subsequent cut can trim the base's height.

Oh, that image makes it a lot easier

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/222110-57080/Screen%20Shot%202013-09-28%20at%202.45.37%20PM.png

Different ways....

tri.JPG

Ah okay, yeah I remember the revolve now.

I've tried with the triangle. Did you sketch it on the curved edge or the bottom and go up?

Ahhh I think I got it if you did go from top. You extruded from top until 139mm above the hemisphere centre?

And re the triangle dimensions I was thinking an equilateral with about 165-170mm from looking at the other dimensions and a bit of research into the component.

I am still tinkering with it as it still looks a bit off.

You've been amazing help!