cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

HOW TO CONTROL THE LENGTH OF THE GEOMETRY WHILE LINEAR PATTERING?

avijayan-2
12-Amethyst

HOW TO CONTROL THE LENGTH OF THE GEOMETRY WHILE LINEAR PATTERING?

Dear Expertes,

As you can see the below image. Is there any way i can control the pattern so that the geometry should not cross the trapezoid boundry.

NEW.PNG

With Regards

Aghil.M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Try using the "convert to spline" function in the sketcher->operations->convert to->spline.

Sketch the boundary shape using lines.  Select them, and convert to spline.  This results in a single entity, that you can then use to constrain the endpoint of your vertical line in the sketch that will be patterned:

pattern_test.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

In a similar circumstance, where the pattern was relatively static, I made a temp drawing of the part, converted the view to draft entities, trimmed them on the drawing, exported as IGES, and then reimported the IGES file as a datum curve in the model. The result isn't parametric, but the process is fast and the original feature can be kept in the model and suppressed, so the process could be repeated if the spacing changes.

The main reason I did this is for speed. This pattern is simpler than what I had, but it still takes time to regenerate. An imported curve has no regeneration, so it's very fast.

tgriffin
4-Participant
(To:avijayan-2)

You could create a sketch of the area where you would like the pattern, and use it to create a fill pattern.

Strange considration but should work quite well...

And please note I am speculating before I actually try this...

The assumption is that you want to pattern a horizontal line linearly within a trapazoid:

Sketch the line

Project the line on a surface the shape of the trapazoid

Pattern the Projection?  Pattern the line and the projection as a group... or something along these lines.

Now can you hide the surface and sketches to show only the curves generated by the projection feature?

Try using the "convert to spline" function in the sketcher->operations->convert to->spline.

Sketch the boundary shape using lines.  Select them, and convert to spline.  This results in a single entity, that you can then use to constrain the endpoint of your vertical line in the sketch that will be patterned:

pattern_test.png

Hi @psobejko

Thanks a lot for the reply. This is what i was exactly looking for,

With Regrads

Aghil.M

Hi, This is good. And you can use the same approach using a slightly different method ...

Create the trapezoid as a curve and use it to create a reference feature (Intent curve) from the datum drop down menu.

Now you can create and pattern a vertical curve using a linear dimension from one end.

PatternRef.JPG

Hi,

you can investigate attached part created in CR3 M100.

Martin Hanák

Hello Everyone.

Thanks for the reply. All your method was helpfull.

But this task was a part of an Automation task so @psobejko  solution was more accurate for my problem.

So once again thanks to all of you for your attention.

With Regards

Aghil.M

Top Tags