cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Has "By tip" been disabled for drilling cycles?

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Has "By tip" been disabled for drilling cycles?

I'm defining a drilling cycle with pecking to install a start hole for some pocket milling. Something I've done countless times in the past.

To avoid leaving drill marks on the bottom of the pocket, my method is as follows:

(1) Use "By tip" for the "Measure:" specification.

(2) Check the "Use Breakout Distance" box.

(3) In the parameters, specify a negative breakout distance, usually something like "-0.010" (inches).

(4) For the "End" of the hole, select the bottom surface of the pocket.

In the past, this has resulted in a nice drilled hole that does not touch the bottom of the pocket, and may subsequently be used to plunge in the rougher that will cut the pocket. No plunge milling, which I abhor.

The trouble is, the drilling cycle seems to be completely ignoring the "By tip" specification and drills too deep. It just uses the shoulder, despite any attempts on my part to do otherwise. Has anyone else seen this behavior of late?

I'm using Creo 2.0, M200.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I was at fault here. I had the wrong tool for a subsequent sequence which was causing the trouble.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

I was at fault here. I had the wrong tool for a subsequent sequence which was causing the trouble.

Top Tags